Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Default a few from the weekend

Another lovely day yesterday for a hike in the autumn foliage. We did a 4.6 mile hike round trip up to top of Lovewell Mountain (2,460ft) in Washington, NH.

This time I opted to go light and brought the E-PL2, Limix 14mm and M. Zuiko 45mm, I even left the VF-2 home as I was worried about it popping off. I think that was a mistake as was not using my monopod in place of one of my trekking poles or maybe putting a camera mount on one of my trekking poles... came home with some shots that I thought looked good on the LCD but were not worth processing after viewed on a computer, I think I could have avoided some of the missed shots with a steadier shot as well as a clearer view.. anyways live and learn

here's some with the 45mm

this shot was before we hit the actual trail, this section is actually a road, non-maintained by the town class IX road for jeeps and other off road vehicles. I wanted to try it with our crossover SUV but my better half disagreed.

PA132626 by ramcewan, on Flickr

I really love the render on this lens, I feel it gives a good sense of depth

Mt. Lovewell trail by ramcewan, on Flickr

PA132671 by ramcewan, on Flickr
a cairn

PA132668 by ramcewan, on Flickr

some old man's beard, apparently a good thing to start fires if you watch and survivor man shows

PA132663 by ramcewan, on Flickr

And here's a few with the 14mm f2.5

This is near the top where the pines and hemlocks take over. We were hiking up the side with southern exposure and the mountain is being eaten by moss and lichens thickly covering the granite blocks.

This was the most difficult section of the hike

PA132726 by ramcewan, on Flickr

this was an image I had hoped would come out better of a granite rock covered in moss with a layer of very bright white green moss growing on top being lit by the sun

PA132725 by ramcewan, on Flickr

a close up of the moss

PA132723 by ramcewan, on Flickr

and of course a view from the top. The clouds were unfortunately low and we could not see too far off. I used a CPL on this shot

PA132689 by ramcewan, on Flickr

knowing I was fighting against the dull light of a low cloud layer I snapped a three shot bracket at +/-0.7 exposure bias for an HDR.

I think this one was not too overdone, I tried to bring out the colors in the valley below being lit by scattered sun as much as possible.

PA132709_10_11_tonemapped by ramcewan, on Flickr

well thanks for looking!

Last edited by ramcewan; Oct 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:46 PM   #2

Beautiful time of the year to be hiking up there. I love overcast days like that. Colors look better, and no deep shadows.

That was also the size crowd I like being in the middle of , but I spent my Sunday at the State Fair and bought, of all things, a new bed. T'was an expensive day at the Fair.

Very nice.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:44 PM   #3

Very nice set, love the colors and sharpness.

My favorites are 4-7

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4

Those are really cool. I have a feeling our leaves will go from green straight to brown this year.

the 14 and 45 is a pretty wonderous combination (though I've been carrying around the 20+45 more often than the 14 these days).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:27 PM   #5

I love the last two, and having been in these spots, definitely do not think it is over done. The first shots though (closeups especially), something is bothering me though. Maybe the whites are too bright? Or you could reel in the brightness with highlight control? It seems like I am distracted from the objects into the backgrounds.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:29 PM   #6

I like them all, beautiful colors.
------------------

I've had my VF-2 come off the P3 two times. Now I use a rubber and looped from it around the MMF-2 next to the camera. Because I mostly use the adapter the rubber band isn't a nuisance, otherwise it would be.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:15 PM   #7

VERY nice series ramcewan
Its the time of year for Hiking
I also like them all
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:25 PM   #8

Nice shots and good color. I like the last pic the best.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:43 PM   #9

A super series; I like them all.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:16 PM   #10

Thanks all for checking them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I love the last two, and having been in these spots, definitely do not think it is over done. The first shots though (closeups especially), something is bothering me though. Maybe the whites are too bright? Or you could reel in the brightness with highlight control? It seems like I am distracted from the objects into the backgrounds.
I tried re-working the first one a bit with a slightly different crop and a bit less brightness and more contrast. It is tough balancing the dappled sunlight with the vibrant colors.

Mt. Lovewell Rd by ramcewan, on Flickr