Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Trick or Treat

The kiddies swarmed the neighbourhood and I sat out in the light drizzle trying to capture the action. Tried all sorts of settings for the flash but for some reason could not get it to fire full blast. Or more than likely asking too much of the E-PL1's built in "Thunder Flash".

Caught these ghosts -- a hot dog and a cat woman coming up the walk. Well, got a hint of them...

So gave up and switched to scene mode, Night + Portrait. These kids move so fast as they come for their treats we get ghost images as they reach the top of the steps.

My take away from this endeavour -- sometimes the camera's automation is actually smarter than trying to set everything manually. And just not enough light to get snap shot sharp focus... I've got a year to practice
Cheers
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:49 AM   #2

Very nice pictures, you are so lucky to have Harry Potter as your neighbor.

Have a great weekend.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:58 AM   #3

what iso/etc. settings did the "scene mode" give you?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:31 PM   #4

The first shot was at 100ISO, F5, 4 second exposure. And mistakenly set the flash to fill in -- thought I had it on full blast.
The second shot with Count Dracula and Harry Potter was on Scene Mode: 250ISO, F4 at 1 second. The flash defaults to ON (Slow (1st curtain with Red-eye reduction)) -- that would explain the flickering pre-flash. Considering the kids were bang on in the direct line of the flash, the red-eye worked quite well. White Balance remained at 5300K for both shots.
Good Fun and unfortunately, enough trick or treaters to leave us with no chocolates remaining.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:18 AM   #5

Interesting. Well the first one is NEAT even if it's not the effect you were going for.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote