Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Phipps Conservatory

Pittsburgh's Phipps Conservatory had a free admission day last Monday, and I just happened to have the day off.

The conservatory is a historical landmark, built by one of the city's Steel figures in the late 19th Century--a "gift" to the city, recognizing all of the hard work and horrible conditions for the workers by showing them some Victorian gardens and flowers. The Conservatory in the modern day is in the forefront of sustainable planting and LEED design. Mostly, I like the glass walls of the conservatory itself, but it's kind of difficult for me to do that architecture any justice here.

Anyhow, here are some hightlights, using the 14, 20 and 45. It's one of the times I wish I had a better zoom as I found myself changing lenses very often. Someone more horticulturally savvy could probably have found more interesting plants to photograph, but I don't know one thing from another.

The Conservatory has been home to many glass and sculpture installations over the years, and you will notice remnants here and there. This Chihuly piece is in the "dome" near the entrance.

A room where they rotate in and out seasonal displays:

The Desert Room:

Pink looking at pink:
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2

Orchids:

bonzai

Not much going on in the gardens outside this time of hear but I like this vine:

Around back. The tall building is University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning:

Anyhow, sorry so many . . .
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:13 AM   #3

All very nice shots, great color and detail.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:51 AM   #4

Great shots. I think this convinced me to buy the 45. Also makes me miss Pittsburgh. I never got a decent shot of Phipps. I always walk by it in the afternoon and the lighting is wrong.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Sammy, these are excellent to show the conservatory, well done. It surely looks like it is a place I would enjoy.

I could not resist sharing this which I made a few weeks ago at one of our parks.

It somewhat shows nature's match to your image subject above or vice versa.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6

Love the Flower Man Bob! And I certainly don't mind you including your image on "my" thread. I think it would be a really fun thing for more back and forth, and it certainly fits the "theme."

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Great shots. I think this convinced me to buy the 45. Also makes me miss Pittsburgh. I never got a decent shot of Phipps. I always walk by it in the afternoon and the lighting is wrong.
Thanks. I'm not always comfortable using the 45--it often seems either too wide or too "narrow" for what I'm trying to do. I feel like I've missed quite a few things trying. But in the few months since I've picked it up, almost every "favorite" shot I've taken has been with the 45. Perhaps that slight awkwardness makes me work harder to find a shot. More likely it just makes really nice images even with a hamhanded idjit like myself at the controls. Whatever the case I highly recommend it if you can swing it.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Nov 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:25 PM   #7

Fantastic set Sammy, love the colors and sharp pictures.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Fantastic set Sammy, love the colors and sharp pictures.

Marcelo
Thank you Marcelo! I like them too, but I think I could have used a bigger DOF for some of the close up shots and not gone wide open. There were also some shots I just "missed" on, but that's ok.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:20 PM   #9

Excellent shots Sammy
All VERY nice . As per Marcelo , Colorful and Sharp
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:10 PM   #10

1,3, and 4 in the orchids section are great. No complaints of DOF there.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote