Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:11 PM   #11

Congrats, Bob.

From everything I've read, you are going to be one happy dude.

BTW, I've downloaded my camera manuals on my i-pad.

It sure beats trying to leaf thru the pages looking for what you want. Especially important for Olympus manuals.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12

You are gonna love it. The Wi-Fi works great with my Nexus 7 also. I concur about the grip. Perfect. And the dials are perfectly placed for setting shutter and f/stop. Set mine up for back button focusing too so the only thing the shutter button does is take a picture. This really comes closest to the perfect camera (for me anyway) . Congrats and I look forward to seeing some images.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #13

I was out of the house early this morning with the M1 and my bag of FT lenses. I went to the nearby nature preserve with little preparation of the M1 but for a couple button allocations.

I started with P-mode so that I could more pay attention to how the lenses worked at AF, the 9-18 & 14-54 worked marvelously well, AF was very much the same as my E3 and the 70-300 too though I did not use the 70-300 much; that will come on another trip.

I particularly wanted to use the 14-54 and had a good go with it.... the Arlington Fire Dept Rescue and Dive Team were there doing a practice exercise for swift water rescue so I tagged along and shot these; all with the 14-54....... I think this lens is now back in the bag.

The next were done with the FT 9-18 .... see why I love this lens

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:25 PM   #14

very nice! Did you get the camera set up to enable stabilization on the half-press of the shutter release. Talk about something fun, the finder going still at 300mm is a revelation
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:32 PM   #15

The last three take the cake. Great perspective, color and sharp. I can read some of the dials on the last one. Nice job!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:44 PM   #16

Greg, I looked for it in settings, there is one about 1/2 press but I don't recall, anyway I haven't seen the 'belly dance' yet.

Tell me where it is set in the M5, maybe the same but the nomenclature for what I saw didn't sound like what you had said.

chi ... thanks, it is so fun when one is 75-yrs and I lay down, roll around, just do anything to get a shot...... then to get up! But the shot was worth the effort (lol).

Actually I am 75 1/2 yrs and I get through the exercises with no difficulty, I am blessed with good health and good physical dexterity.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:09 AM   #17

The "C" cogs menu. I see it's in the same place on the E-M1. See page 145 in the manual.

"Half way rls with IS".
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:11 AM   #18

Quote:
"Half way rls with IS".
Yep, I thought that & I turned it on...... it is on, I'll get the 300mm on and look closer.

Surely a lot of 'looking closer' stuff to look closer to............ but what fun learning it all.

I see where Adobe has updated for the M1 & GH1, I hope Corel will do it soon however shooting JPG works with ASPro well enough that adjustment is nearly the same as RAW.

I was so surprised at how well the JPG were done, amazingly well.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:19 AM   #19

Quote:
It sure beats trying to leaf thru the pages looking for what you want. Especially important for Olympus manuals.

I have the manual; I only need for some BAD weather so I will make time to go through it.... lol

Zig, you will absolutely love the M1/grip feel in your hand; please try it one day.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:35 PM   #20

Those are great shots Bob and the 9-18 sure has a great DOF as well as gorgeous color and sharpness. You guys are making me cry.