Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:55 PM   #1

Default ...today I worked the FT 70-300 on the M1 & WOW!

I use the FT 70-300 for probably near 90% of how I shoot on a normal trip to the parks, it is what I do the most.

Today was the 1st time I've worked the FT 70-300 on the M1..... well; it is a jewel to carry with the M1/grip (unlike with the P3, though I did that for 2-yrs).

The lens does AF very well too, no lost shots waiting for AF. The only times the system did a 'hunt' were when I did not initially give the lens operating room for close shooting, a thing I do fairly often because I do use the EX-25 a lot with the 70-300 so just backup a bit then shoot it.

The camera results for the 70-300 are excellent, still I'm shooting JPG and hoping COREL will soon update ASPro for the M1 ORF files. But for JPG edit in ASPro the only thing that I miss is the highlight slider, the other pieces all work for JPG and it is non-destructive so it isn't a bad thing until the software update happens.

I've really only one FT lens left to work, the 35mm MACRO. I've not yet put the FL-36 or 50 on the camera but the clip-on flashlette does work quite well for close shooting where flash is needed.... the results for the 14-42 are quite nice and I've mentioned that the Wi-Fi network for the iPhone and iPAD is quite well done (the app runs very well).

Today (11/11/13 Monday) is the day before our first freeze so off I went to check the 70-300........ well, I am satisfied it will still be my go-to lens for close-up work (bugs, flowers and little stuff that flies or hops)

FT70-300 M-mode (no EX-25)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2

Really nice, Bob. Love closeups with this lens. Those red berries in particular are really snappy sharp. Glad I kept mine, even though I've not used it much lately. An E-M1 would definitely generate more use of the four-thirds glass I still have.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Hey Bob

Very nice inded !! That 70-300 Zd is a prety amazing bit of glass esp for its price and with the EM1 its doing superb job.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:16 AM   #4

Fantastic shots Bob, the sharpness is outstanding.

Love the 3rd and 5th picture.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:48 PM   #5

I agree with Harj, great detail and color for the cost.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Those are as good as any I've seen. Great separation from the background.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7

That makes for a nice combination. Terrific shots Bob.
I know what you mean about the 70-300. Mine is almost my prime, I use it so much.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:03 PM   #8

...hey, thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, indeedy the E-M1 is exactly what I've waited for (decent AF with FT lenses) and the promise of it was why I passed on the E-M5.

I will enjoy keeping my E-P3 because it is a really fine little camera and with the FT 9-18, m14-42 & m40-150 it makes for a very nice small-carry.

Fun winter ahead; I'm thinking of a couple new projects.

Thanks again, Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9

The pictures I have been seeing from the M1 are really impressive. However, if you do not have a closet full of Oly glass to complement the M1, I find it hard to justify the cost considering one can get a Canon full frame 6D for a couple of hundred more with an image sensor that is 26% larger than the M1 which would provide at least equal to or higher image resolution than the M1. I do realize the cost of the M1 justifies it's cost vs size vs IQ. It's just my personal opinion so now everyone can load their guns and start firing at me. :-)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The pictures I have been seeing from the M1 are really impressive. However, if you do not have a closet full of Oly glass to complement the M1, I find it hard to justify the cost considering one can get a Canon full frame 6D for a couple of hundred more with an image sensor that is 26% larger than the M1 which would provide at least equal to or higher image resolution than the M1. I do realize the cost of the M1 justifies it's cost vs size vs IQ. It's just my personal opinion so now everyone can load their guns and start firing at me. :-)
My impression is that you're going to really want this camera if you have the FT glass, and if you just have m43 you're probably better off going with one of the other newer-generation Olys or Pannys.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote