Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:52 AM   #1

Default Michael Reichmann writes about the OM-D

And, equally important, about the compatibility of the Four thirds lenses.

An interesting read from the creator of Luminous Landscapes

http://www.luminouslandscape.com/rev...n_a_time.shtml

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Zig, I really like your website setup. I haven't been able to figure out what to do with the new options, so I've done nothing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Zig, I really like your website setup. I haven't been able to figure out what to do with the new options, so I've done nothing.
Thanks Greg,

Although I started to migrate over to the new design, I lost my enthusiasm along the way. It is still a work in progress. I do like the fact that the new design gives you more options-maybe too many.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Article address should be
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...n_a_time.shtml
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5

I can't agree more with the article, my collection of Zuiko lenses remains as my choices for m43 the past 2-yrs with the E-P3 and now with the E-M1 I an ecstatic to use them.

The 14-54 is becoming a real deal for me again along with the 9-18 and next summer when the 70-300 will once again be my go to close-up lens and my 50-200 will certainly see field time again too.

The E-M1 was a choice I made at first opportunity to buy, I bought it locally at Arlington Camera and am so happy I did not wait to make a decision. With the HLD-7 grip the camera is everything I wished for, now to learn better how to use it.

......and for Smugmug, Zig said, "I do like the fact that the new design gives you more options-maybe too many."

....I still like the 'original' Smugmug and the new options for code-snippets to enhance appearance & smooth transitions so I elected to simply make mine a bit 'slicker' and keep it as was for design => boBBrennan.smugmug.com.

The new system for maintenance however is so much better than it was before the new system. The many choices for design palettes does appear daunting but once onto the process it really is not quite so difficult.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the link Zig / KulaCube. Interesting insight into history of FT format. Moreover, it's exciting to learn there's a whole other batch of excellent lenses that will work with the M1.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7

The 12-40mm f2.8 is the first Micro zoom lens I would say is of equal quality compared to the 12-60 and 50-200 Digital Zuikos I was using with the Olympus DSLR's before migrating to Micro Four-Thirds. The release next year of the 40-150mm f2.8 will almost certainly be Micro zoom #2 of the same.

The 75mm f1.8 M. Zuiko prime I would venture is fully the equal optically of any SHG lens. With the exception of them not sealing it, build quality-wise as well.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Thanks for the link Zig / KulaCube. Interesting insight into history of FT format. Moreover, it's exciting to learn there's a whole other batch of excellent lenses that will work with the M1.
It's hard for users of Canon/Nikon systems to fully appreciate the quality of Olympus' FT lenses. As frustrated as I was with the AF system, noise, and limiting dynamic range of the Olympus dslr bodies, I was equally impressed
with the outstanding image quality produced by the 12-60mm, 50mm and 50-200mm Ed Ft lenses.

Some of the best bird photos I've ever taken were done using the 50-200mm ED lens.

The camera club I belong to is pretty normal, in that, it's members typically use Canon or Nikon equip. With some, using pretty impressive lenses.
As you can imagine, the talk gets around to which company makes the best lenses, Canon or Nikon. I'm long past the point of having to prove to anyone that Olympus has some of the finest lenses ever made.

Zig

Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Very interesting. I'm sure happy with my 14-54 Zuiko and the price of 220.00 was a very good buy for a lens in excellent condition.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
It's hard for users of Canon/Nikon systems to fully appreciate the quality of Olympus' FT lenses...

Zig
Especially when the Oly lens do not have the physical presence of the canon/nikon lenses. At least I have never seen an oly lens similar to this used by fellow capturing birds
Attached Images

KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote