Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:13 PM   #1

Default Walking around/Utility lens?

Hi!

So I currently have an E-PL3 (very much considering upgrading to an E-M1).

Currently have a Panasonic 20mm/f1.7, Panasonic 14mm/f2.5, panasonic 45-200mm/f4-5.6; and the kit 14-42 lens.

I mostly just carry the 20mm and 14mm with me when out and about; however many times would like a little more range. I hardly ever find myself using the 45-200.

Is there a good mid-range zoom out there I should be considering? Or is the kit lens the best I can get without breaking the bank?

I suppose I could also consider the 4/3 lenses if I end up getting the e-m1 (but I am still debating between the e-m1 and e-m5), but I am not sure how bulky/fast they are.

Thanks!
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:04 AM   #2

I have to keep holding myself back from picking up the EM1 + new 12-40/2.8 (darn $200 rebate being tempting!). Just not sure as an amateur that I need such a setup.

For those that have seen/used both. Is there much of a practical difference between the EM1 and EM5? I like the apparently better ergonomics and EVF. But for half the cost, maybe an EM5 +12-40/2.8 could be a good compromise.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanar View Post
Just not sure as an amateur that I need such a setup.
Ah.....don't let logic get in the way.

Seriously, if you want it, just get it. It's as good a combination in this format as it gets. The E-M5 and 12-40mm f2.8 is a really good combination. It's what I'm using right now. That's probably changing to an E-M1 soon, but I'll be holding on to my E-M5 as a second body. Perfect for that since they use the same battery.

The Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 and Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 are the two best Micro standard zooms.

Build quality of the 12-40 M. Zuiko is very similar to the two standard four-thirds (DSLR) lenses, being the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 and 12-60mm f2.8-4. The two DSLR lenses are really excellent but they are both bigger than the 12-40 and require the adapter to use them on the micro bodies, making them even bigger. If you already had one from a DSLR outfit it'd be one thing, but coming in as you are, I would advise just getting the micro-specific lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Thanks! Definitely, very helpful.

Since I don't need the 4/3 compatibility, am I losing much by going with a E-M5 versus an E-M1?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5

From an image quality standpoint, no. They're both excellent and virtually identical. It looks like the higher-end E-M1 has a little more conservative jpeg setup and the E-M5 a more consumer jpeg. I've seen some people comment the E-M1 jpegs are softer than E-M5 jpegs, and it's almost certainly because the default sharpening for the E-M1 is turned down compared to the E-M5.

If you shoot raw it makes no difference as you'll get it all "right" in the raw converter. If you prefer shooting jpeg you simply test the camera (either one) and set as much extra or less in-camera sharpening/contrast/noise filtering by adjusting the in-camera parameters.

Choosing the E-M5 over the E-M1 you lose the larger built-in grip of the E-M1, the newer, larger electronic finder (but the E-M5 finder is very, very nice), the E-M1 offers a higher maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 second. If you use the faster primes the 1/8000 shutter speed will allow you to keep the lens more "open" in bright sunlight.

The E-M5 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 and I often find myself not being able to open the faster f1.8 primes more than to f4 in mid-day bright sunlight where, most of the time, I'm really looking to shoot at a setting more like f5.6 anyway. The E-M1 also has built-in wifi and the ability to shoot it wirelessly. The E-M5 offers neither of those. There are other differences you can read here..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:42 AM   #6

Thanks for your insight as an EM5 owner. There are certainly benefits to the EM1, I was just not sure that there is ~$600 worth of extra benefits . The EM5 might be a very good option and certainly a good upgrade from the EPL3!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanar View Post
Thanks for your insight as an EM5 owner. There are certainly benefits to the EM1, I was just not sure that there is ~$600 worth of extra benefits . The EM5 might be a very good option and certainly a good upgrade from the EPL3!
My lenses are almost exactly as yours. I find that I can go out with just the 20 and Oly45 which will take care of like 90% of my needs. I think that much like you next on my timeline will probably be a discount em5. I'd recommend the oly45 first though, it's great.

(I have the 14, 20, 45 and 45-200. I sold the kit lens from my epl2 to put money towards the 45)

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:31 AM   #8

I have neither the M1 or the M5 but if you do not have any 4/3 lenses then the M5 may be the better "bargain" for you. Both models are splash and dust proof and offer 5 axis image stabilization. Where the M1 shines is the fast auto focus when using 4/3 lenses. Since you have no 4/3rd lenses then you have to ask yourself whether the M1 is worth the extra 600.00. If I were wearing your shoes, I'd likely opt for the M5 and use the 600 for a good micro mid range zoom lens.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM   #9

Olympus america is having a cybermonday sale on refurbished cameras and lenses today (code CYBERMONDAY). 25% off! You can get a refurb EM5 for 540 bucks. I wish I could pull the trigger.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Olympus america is having a cybermonday sale on refurbished cameras and lenses today (code CYBERMONDAY). 25% off! You can get a refurb EM5 for 540 bucks. I wish I could pull the trigger.
wow, sounds like a great deal.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote