Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:30 AM   #1

Default Timelapse... aruba sunset

The below is one of the final images of a set I took of 60 or so shots of the sunset in Aruba from our balcony, clicking on the picture will take you to the video on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11094544846/

Aruba Sunset 11-24-2013 Timelapse by ramcewan, on Flickr

I shot all of them at ISO 200 with the 14mm f2.5 aperture priority f2.8 allowing the shutter speed to vary as the light changed, this shot is a longer exposure. Of course I had the camera on a tripod. Unfortunately I some how packed all the parts for my intervalometer/wireless shutter except the cord that plugs into the camera, so I ended up pressing the shutter myself with a 2 second delay. Luckily I had a fresh pina colada.
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Nice place. Travelled there once to catch a cruise. I'm not a diver or wind surfer....two of the biggest draws, and that island is flat as a pancake, but the weather sure is nice, plus they're far enough South so few hurricanes and there are lots of incredible model shoots done there

A beautiful place to be with a drink in your hand.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3

Pretty cool ramcewan.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:10 PM   #4

I like it Ramce.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5

forgot to mention this before, but I loved your flickr set, esp. the one with the little entrance guardhouse (or whatever it is).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like it Ramce.
Me too!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Nice place. Travelled there once to catch a cruise. I'm not a diver or wind surfer....two of the biggest draws, and that island is flat as a pancake, but the weather sure is nice, plus they're far enough South so few hurricanes and there are lots of incredible model shoots done there

A beautiful place to be with a drink in your hand.
yes it sure is a nice place for that, I like it because it is a 4 hour direct flight from Boston, they all speak English, it is super safe (probably more so than many US cities), they use same current and plugs as US, they take US dollars everywhere and the weather is pretty much guaranteed thanks to the position off the coast of Venezuela outside hurricane path and in constant trade winds. For a 6 day/5 night get away to relax it is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Pretty cool ramcewan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like it Ramce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
forgot to mention this before, but I loved your flickr set, esp. the one with the little entrance guardhouse (or whatever it is).
thanks guys!

Here's some stills

Sunsets;

Sunset Sail by ramcewan, on Flickr

Sunset Sailing by ramcewan, on Flickr

a rather long exposure showing the hotel

Hotel at Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr

One day we rented a jeep and explored the back side of the island which is all off road trails, here's the jeep with the California lighthouse in the background. The lighthouse sits on the northern tip and is named for a wreck off the coast

Jeep and California Lighthouse by ramcewan, on Flickr

There is an area called the wish garden where locals go at the start of the new year and build a stack of stones and make a wish. In the highlands these would be cairns and would mark the trail, here they are just wishes and they literally stretch for a mile or two along the rocky (coral) shore.

Wish Garden 2 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Wish Garden by ramcewan, on Flickr

Also on the backside are huts of various levels of sophistication with this Rancho Jancana being one of the nicer ones. As I understand it (couldn't find much online) from the locals they go to the backside and camp out with no electricity or water for some time after Christmas.

Rancho Jancana by ramcewan, on Flickr

Although the shore is mostly a rocky composition of coral that makes the idea of walking let alone swimming unimaginable there are sections eroded away where beaches have formed, this is the beach next to Rancho Jancana, not too shabby even if the surf is a bit rougher

Rancho Jancana Beach by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:54 PM   #8

With the jeep we made the trek over one of the higher points on the island down to what's known as the natural pool. This is the entrance to the trail and the park, you pay $10 per person to go in. The road is rough and only a 4x4 is recommended.

Entrance to Natural Pool Trail and Park by ramcewan, on Flickr

this is coming down the other side, pictures don't do it justice, it is a serious off road trail leaving you with a stiff neck in the morning.

Trail to Natural Pool by ramcewan, on Flickr

there is a small sign at an area where you park before walking down to the natural pool

Natural Pool sign by ramcewan, on Flickr

and this is the view from above with a tour group packing up next to the pool

Natural Pool from above by ramcewan, on Flickr

and the pool with some random folks in it, as you can see it is protected by rocks from the open sea beyond making it a neat little spot

Natural Pool by ramcewan, on Flickr

Finally here is a sunrise also from the backside of the island

Aruba Sunrise by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:11 PM   #9

I need to find a travel agent! Beautiful images of a beautiful place.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote