Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Worlds Fastest Lens for Mirrorless Camera

This would be fun coupled to any of our cameras. What I'm excited about is just that a manufacturer would even consider producing a lens like this for various mirrorless systems including M43. Hard to swallow the $2080 cost but maybe someday we can rent one. Follow the link below for more info and some bokehlicious samples.

http://goo.gl/QaHVvv

Alan

Last edited by chiPersei; Dec 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
This would be fun coupled to any of our cameras. What I'm excited about is just that a manufacturer would even consider producing a lens like this for various mirrorless systems including M43. Hard to swallow the $2080 cost but maybe someday we can rent one. Follow the link below for more info and some bokehlicious samples.

http://goo.gl/QaHVvv

Alan
I think this is exciting news for the A7/A7R and other non-MFT cameras and Kipon has a long history of producing sharp glass....

However I can't help but point out that an equally ridiculous fast Voigtlander 17.5mm/25mm/42.5mm f0.95 set of lenses already exists for Micro Four Thirds and they all retail under a grand. Being manual focus as this lens appears to be this new lens would compete directly with these existing lenses.

Likewise Sony Carl Zeiss T* Sonnar 55mm f1.8 is just under a grand and has auto focus for the new Sony A7/A7R full frame mount.

Don't get me wrong I think it is interesting but I think it's appeal is mostly for video shooters which is mostly what people buy the voigtlanders for but the Ibelux 40mm f/0.85 seems to have a stepped aperture as opposed to a smoothly variable aperture like the voigtlander.

but since the voigtlanders can't be mounted on the Sony they probably will sell some of these to Sony A7R users who want to shoot video.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:42 PM   #3

I don't much care about the Sony mounts but if the worlds fastest lens for mirrorless cameras (as this one currently is) mounts on my MFT (as this one will) that's a good thing. My hope is the under-a-grand vendors will attempt to lay claim to the "Worlds Fastest MFT lens" in short order. Competition is a good thing.

Last edited by chiPersei; Dec 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4

It weighs 1150 grams, or a little over 2 1/2 pounds, according to the press release.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
It weighs 1150 grams, or a little over 2 1/2 pounds, according to the press release.

Yikes!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Default fast enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I don't much care about the Sony mounts but if the worlds fastest lens for mirrorless cameras (as this one currently is) mounts on my MFT (as this one will) that's a good thing. My hope is the under-a-grand vendors will attempt to lay claim to the "Worlds Fastest MFT lens" in short order. Competition is a good thing.
well let's see we have the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 and the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f1.2 on the way along with a 15mm f1.7 .... both will have auto focus and a Leica design that makes it a notch above the normal Lumix lenses which are pretty good imho ... and for what it's worth Panasonic claims the 42.5mm as the fastest* micro four thirds lens (*with AF).... lol that's exactly what the press release said "fastest" with a little footnote to say they meant fastest with AF since at that time the Voigtlanders had already been in the market for some time.

Olympus has several 1.8 or 1.7 lenses too all with AF and top notch IQ.

I guess the point I'm getting at is how important is it to be faster than 1.2~1.8? is it important enough to manually focus and manually control aperture on your lenses?

For me the answer is no, I prefer full auto functionality over absolute speed. These lenses are aimed not at the still shooters like I think most of us are but at the video shooters who want to manually focus and manually control aperture and cannot use a flash. Ask them and they'll answer yes, please give me those lenses!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:30 PM   #7

I like fast lenses and already own the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 and 20mm 1.7. I lean toward them because I like low light photography. The 20mm pretty much resides on my camera because it indeed is fast enough and I prefer the additional field of view over the 25. I do get excited when I read of what some would consider a technological envelope pusher. Someday we may see a constant f0.25 with adjustable dof. Nothing will surprise me after the development of light-field cameras. And for those who say it's impossible to make such a lens just remember it's wasn't long ago the camera makers lead us to believe it was physically impossible to build a full frame pocket-able camera. Nothing like a little competition from the cell phone industry to encourage them to rewrite the laws of physics.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:06 AM   #8

I have a hard enough time dealing with the thin DOF of my 45 at 1.7.

(yes, I'm incompetent)
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote