Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:41 PM   #11

I wimped out, went to Chilli's and had some Fajita's and a couple of margarita's instead

Wouldn't you know, it's supposed to be beautiful all week.....until the weekend again. Can't tonight but Tuesday or Wednesday night I might just head downtown and do the Christmas lights along Main Street and the windows at Neiman's.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I wimped out, went to Chilli's and had some Fajita's and a couple of margarita's instead

Wouldn't you know, it's supposed to be beautiful all week.....until the weekend again. Can't tonight but Tuesday or Wednesday night I might just head downtown and do the Christmas lights along Main Street and the windows at Neiman's.
Now your talkin', except instead of margarita's make mine cabernet.

Congrats on getting a really fine camera. l would enjoy reading about your impressions as to how the auto focus functions on the EM-1 using FT lenses as compared to the EM-5.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:28 PM   #13

Played with it using Bob's 70-300 and 50-200 version 1 and it worked really, really well. I can see why he's so happy with it. Popped on my 50mm f2 Macro Zuiko and it was, surprisingly, excellent. That lens never really AF'd all that fast on any DSLR other than the E5, but the E-M1 handled it like a champ. I would imagine the 35mm f3.5 macro works really well too.

Worked well, AF-wise, with my 8mm f3.5 Digital Zuiko fisheye, although it fringed like holy heck in high contrast areas on the few raw files I captured with it. It's amazing how much better the little manual focus Rokinon fisheye performs compared to the uber-expensive 8mm Zuiko FE.

Cabernet works well too. especially if it's a Franciscan or Round Pond 2010. Yummy. When we were in Napa at the Round Pond Estate winery I purchased my first ever bottle of Reserve Cabernet. Katherine and I will consume that for Christmas. I just told her it was our Christmas gift to each other.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:26 PM   #14

Hi Zig,

Wow! The M1 does FT AF so well, it is again a joy to use the 14-54 & 50-200 on a camera which feels really well balanced without the bulk & weight of the E-3.

As you know my summertime is filled with critters of nature and the 70-300 will shine so well when capturing the butterflies and dragons. I use only the FT 9-18 shooting the car shows and while quick AF may not seem a factor it can be the difference in seeing just the car or seeing people distractions framed..... a common happening the past 2-yrs with th E-P3.

Greg mentioned the FT 35mm, it too is fantastic on the M1... super AF & lightweight it will be a favorite too.

Yep, I finally made a decision (waiting) and to buy at first opportunity..... I'm surely happy.

Merry Christmas, hoping you and Martha are doing well.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
........did I say it was COLD today?
So what does cold mean to you? like 50's or 40's? looks like a warm but wet spring day to me!

Our temps bottomed out at 5 degrees F this morning and snow on the way this afternoon, I would welcome your cold day right about now

Good set of photos and congrats on the get together and the new toys, really happy you'll be getting a whole other life out of the FT lenses on the EM1
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:28 AM   #16

Great shots guys but that looks rather warm there compared to here in cold Michigan.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:29 AM   #17

RA,
....that day (40s & wind 20-30) was a followup to our 20's for the previous 4-days when we had the ice storm; some of these bridges had remnants of ice on the floor.

As for the FTs new life, it is a happy time.... I started with the E-300, the then 14-45 & 40-150 in 2005, added the 14-54 & 50-200 at the same time in spring 2006, then the others as time went along for the E-3, then the E-P3................ I don't know if I will add to the E-M1, possibly a 12-50 at some time but for now I am satisfied going into next 'nature & cars' season.

My big challenge now (you got me started with your previous thread) is to learn LR53 like I know ASPro and before Jan 11 when the LR53 price returns to $150. There isn't a chance COREL will update ASPro in the next 2-weeks so I may as well just buy LR53 anyway and get on with it.

I have been reading David Marx tutorials for LR and this link http://tinyurl.com/lzsqsrw has been helpful. He is fairly adamant regarding the LR catalog nearly insisting on a 'single' catalog. I am still pondering the merits of catalog schemes.

Once I am convinced to a catalog process I can make a real decision. For now I just don't like db-catlg at this level (my experience history is with very large mainframe db-systems). ASPro allows cataloging or not. I've always done Bibble/ASPro at the 'load my files to a DIR/Folder', do the editing and get on with it. Naming convention by year & event keep my data exactly as I want, easy to find files and easy to do permanent DVD backup, re-organize for compactness-archival... etc., etc. With a catalog scheme,,,,, mess with the data files and all connectivity is lost! What to do!

So, I welcome any help regarding PS/LR cataloging... but I gotta hurry to decision, summer and HOT-in-Texas is coming in a hurry.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:37 AM   #18

I was leery of the the whole "Catalog" thing too . . . but once I got it into place, even though I don't use every little nuance of the system, it really is a lot easier. Part of that is that I'm a disorganized mess and the system forced me to arrange my "stuff" a little better.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:55 AM   #19

Glad you and Greg endured the weather to get such good shots for the rest of us to drool over and congratulations for the new toys..!!

I was shooting last Friday at the beach under strong winds at 8 degrees (Fahrenheit)

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Hi Zig,

Merry Christmas, hoping you and Martha are doing well.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting your impressions of the E-M1 AF system. Glad to hear the new camera is working as advertised.

Happy Holidays to you, Bonnie & the Brennan clan.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote