Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:50 PM   #21

...thanks Zig, it is a fun camera for sure.

AND! Marcelo, your images of the Snowy Owl continue to amaze me, such beautiful creatures and your endurance in the cold weather for so many photos amazes me too.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:07 PM   #22

.....ok, after reading Marcelo's comment and I know he has been out shooting the OWL in some really cold weather here is Greg's shot of me last Saturday in the 'post Arctic blast' we had a few days prior.

It really wasn't so cold on the thermometer that day but when an old-fart (me) is closer to year 80 than to 70, well, it was cold.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Glad you and Greg endured the weather to get such good shots for the rest of us to drool over and congratulations for the new toys..!!

Great work.
After reading recent sightings of Snowy Owls, here on the Cape I decided to do the same and drove out to a couple of locations. Other than getting extremely cold, I saw nothing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:53 PM   #24

Hey Bob,
Couldn't help but notice that the OMD-EM1 doesn't appear to be significantly smaller than an E-510.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:02 PM   #25

Bob, you look a bit like Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad in that photo.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:29 PM   #26

I'm glad you saw that one, Bob. I almost posted it here now and saw you beat me to it.

Captured with the 75mm f1.8, at f1.8 and 1/8000 second. One of things one does when fiddling with a new camera owned for less than a couple of hours, I did not check my ISO and wound up capturing it at a way too high ISO 1000.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
RA,
Once I am convinced to a catalog process I can make a real decision. For now I just don't like db-catlg at this level (my experience history is with very large mainframe db-systems). ASPro allows cataloging or not. I've always done Bibble/ASPro at the 'load my files to a DIR/Folder', do the editing and get on with it. Naming convention by year & event keep my data exactly as I want, easy to find files and easy to do permanent DVD backup, re-organize for compactness-archival... etc., etc. With a catalog scheme,,,,, mess with the data files and all connectivity is lost! What to do!

So, I welcome any help regarding PS/LR cataloging... but I gotta hurry to decision, summer and HOT-in-Texas is coming in a hurry.

Bob
Funny you should say that, my start in IT was as a Unisys COBOL programmer on mainframes, hired straight out of college I was in the last class at the State University to have been offered COBOL in '97. I graduated in '98 and by then of course Y2k came and meant everyone needed programmers who knew COBOL... 15 years later I've moved on to more high tech stuff but those mainframes sure could process transactions... these days folks go on and on about service oriented architectures, relational databases optimized for big data, and near real time data visualization, but in the end they have trouble matching the shear performance of a big mainframe and a hierarchical database structure

Anyhow I have yet to wander down the catalog path. Seems I'm okay opening the RAW directory and importing a few files and then developing them to JPG, JPGs I like go to Flickr which now gives 1TB storage.

On the computer I save the outputs and back up to a Network Attached Storage device and a second copy on a portable hard drive I keep at work. I mostly use my work laptop because there is no point in buying my own just to have it gather dust, so any kind of catalog would get blown away when they do every other year swap out on me.

I'm probably missing something in terms of functionality but as long as I keep my backups in folders with my date plus short description format I think I'll be okay... storage is cheap and my Network Attached Storage has two bays with only one 1TB drive in there now, I see no issue with being a digital packrat.

Oh and BTW I stand corrected it was -4 this morning when I got in the car and drove to work, the remote in the house read 5 because it was covered in snow and insulated somewhat lol
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:18 PM   #28

Greg,
I saw it and just plain stole it from Smuggy, hoping you get downtown tonight for the stores lights.

I'm suspecting the camera settings may have had an impact on the appearance of my hand, cuz it really is not what that looks like (see I was COLD). I am glad to have the image, I used it for my Merry Christmas eCard to the Arlington Parks and Recreation Dept => http://tinyurl.com/kjktcks.

Drew, if I had a hair on my head, maybe.......... lol

And Zig, Greg & I both hope you will get an M1 in your hands, with the grip it is a perfect fit. My hands are significantly larger then are Greg's and we each are very comfortably fit with the camera. It is a perfect size and weight IMO and that of many others and not a whole bit different to the 510.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:58 PM   #29

2013 has been a busy year of photography for me. I do have a few more chores about the house now and that Bonnie has not car-driven herself the past 3-yrs means I daily check our schedule and when some time is open I do get the camera bags loaded.

Just checked my Smugmug directories (galleries) for files count and found I have published 2000 files this year, which means that all the files are made available for the subject entities to use except for commercial profit \ usage. I know many have been used particularly the ones relative to the city of Arlington and that makes me extremely happy, I always get photo credit and invitations (sometimes including food).

.....this year published to Smugmug (I surely looked a a lot of files this year)

631 photos -- Arlington Parks and Recreation Department (city parks)

573 photos -- Nostalgia Nights weekly Friday local car show (the folks like seeing their cars and I get a huge reward (hugs) from it

200 photos -- EAA chapter 34 (Experimental Aircraft Assoc) Young Eagles Rally, summer rally at Arlington, TX airport and fall rallly Grand Prairie, TX airport (again hugs and thank you for making the photos available to the club)

506 photos -- Arts Festivals in Arlington (winter Art on The Greene) and fall (South Street Art Festival). The promoter is a young man whom I've known 30-yrs. I have an original Steve Moya art piece.

So, I keep busy and at my age it is very important to me to do so and photography as I go about it does keep me busy, exercised & thinking. Now to get the PP-editing software issue here settled. Probably I will update ASPro when/if (ever) COREL does and I will buy Lightroom with Lightroom being primary and ASPro for 'trimming' JPG files where and in ways LR either doesn't or LR does in ways I don't like such as how ASPro does layer isolation PP and cloning/healing.

Anyway, I am looking forward to 2014 with the E-M1 and fair-weather.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:26 PM   #30

Quote:
RA said, ......my start in IT was as a Unisys COBOL programmer on mainframes, hired straight out of college I was in the last class at the State University to have been offered COBOL in '97
I had a 48-yr career in IT, I saw all the major changes and worked with most of them.

My first program was in October 1959, IBM 650 80-col card I/O, Des Moines, IA. I finished March 2007 Pier 1 imports, Inc. During that time span I did the IT bit from all directions including management but had the most fun when writing systems/code.

I retired from Macy's (Federated Dept Stores) 17-yrs; then from Pier 1 imports also 17-yrs. These years were back to back here in DFW, TX, I had 2 other jobs in IT too.

In 1964 I sat for and received my DPMA/CDP at Long Beach College, CA. By the time I retired I had written mainframe code in 14 different languages including variants of JCL across mainframe OS, my first COBOL pgm was at U.S.Suzuki Motor Co., California 1965,,,,,, and the last 10-yrs to retirement at Pier1 I wrote C++ derivative KORN shell on IBM mid-range RK6000 hardware....... KORN was the most fun ever, most of that code is still running, I had immense fun working and writing application systems.

I hope you have as good a go at IT as I had. I gotta run now to get ready for the TV show The Voice. TTY'all L.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM.