Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post

My big challenge now (you got me started with your previous thread) is to learn LR53 like I know ASPro and before Jan 11 when the LR53 price returns to $150. There isn't a chance COREL will update ASPro in the next 2-weeks so I may as well just buy LR53 anyway and get on with it.

Once I am convinced to a catalog process I can make a real decision. For now I just don't like db-catlg at this level (my experience history is with very large mainframe db-systems). ASPro allows cataloging or not. I've always done Bibble/ASPro at the 'load my files to a DIR/Folder', do the editing and get on with it. Naming convention by year & event keep my data exactly as I want, easy to find files and easy to do permanent DVD backup, re-organize for compactness-archival... etc., etc. With a catalog scheme,,,,, mess with the data files and all connectivity is lost! What to do!

So, I welcome any help regarding PS/LR cataloging... but I gotta hurry to decision, summer and HOT-in-Texas is coming in a hurry.

Bob
Hi Bob-

I don't have much database experience and that may have made the whole catalog decision a non-issue for me. I've been using LR since v.3. and can't remember LR even offering a choice on how to setup the database or file structure. It probably did and I just hit "Next" if you know what I mean.

The way it works for me is the Windows Auto Run pops up after inserting an SD Card and asks what I want to do. I click on the Import photos using Lightroom option. Lightroom then creates a folder (directory) on the HD with date names i.e. 2013-12-17 and copies the files to the folder. If I've shot several days using a single SD card LR creates a folder for each day and copies files into their corresponding folders. While working in the LR Library Module the list of folders appear on the left pane. If I want to edit some old photos of a day trip from August 11, 2012 I click on the 2012-08-11 folder and there they are.

Granted, if you don't know the exact day you took the day trip you might click on several folders in August to find them. Having said that LR has many methods of rating and tagging your photos for easy retrieval at a later date but I've not much used them. Maybe if I turn pro.

If you decide to edit a photo in a ASPro you can just navigate to the folder and open the file you want. Conversely, there is an option to select an external editor from within LR so you can right-click an image and open it in ASPro.

In hindsight it may have been better had I taken the time to tag the photos as the catalog was created the 1st time. You know, "Family", "Around Salem" etc. but I was in too much of a hurry.

Let us know how it goes.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Greg,
I saw it and just plain stole it from Smuggy, hoping you get downtown tonight for the stores lights.
Main Street tomorrow night. I did walk down for a few minutes to Klyde Warren Park this evening.

The highway running underneath the park..

Ice skating?

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:44 PM   #33

These are quite impressive, I would vote you keep the camera.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:39 PM   #34

Thanks Alan. I've tested running LR following my non-db folder scheme I've used for several years and of course it works fine but like in a real IT world keeping track of the indices (catalogs) becomes a nightmare after a while.

I understand the reasoning David Marx touts for a single catalog. Simple judgment and trusting his experience says do it his way and learn the nuances of editing the data files.

It makes sense and I can continue to use my data folder/directory schema. The difference being that with ASPro, as you mentioned is just a matter of opening a folder, editing the files, loading that group to my Smugmug and moving the files to the parent folder for 'say'. Park-Name, I revisit many different parks during a year & often more than one on any given day.

Choice in ASPro, developed originally by Bibble Labs, is a real plus for those of us who actually manage our data at the PC level.

I also like that the XMP files in ASPro are written separately and alongside the associated RAW file but I can not find if LR can do that. LR will on a setting imbed XMP somewhere but I've not learned where.

The simple solution will be for COREL to update ASPro, I quit this nonsense 7-yrs ago and am getting headaches.

Thanks for your input Alan, I do appreciate it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:39 PM   #35

I love low light photos and those are beauties. The detail and color are as good or better than any I've seen. Did you use a tripod?

Unrelated question on the 1st and last photos. Were you facing SSW? Looks like Venus in the evening sky. Sharp as a tack.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:00 AM   #36

Quote:

I also like that the XMP files in ASPro are written separately and alongside the associated RAW file but I can not find if LR can do that. LR will on a setting imbed XMP somewhere but I've not learned where.
I took a couple photos last night in raw+jpg. In this screen capture you can see the 2 jpgs, 2 raws and 2 xmp files.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Dec 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I love low light photos and those are beauties. The detail and color are as good or better than any I've seen. Did you use a tripod?

Unrelated question on the 1st and last photos. Were you facing SSW? Looks like Venus in the evening sky. Sharp as a tack.
No tripod. Too unwieldy and more than I want to tote while walking the streets downtown. Around some buildings, security starts noticing if you are using something like that.

I just figured out the 2x2 switch last night. Sheer genius. You almost don't need the super control panel with this camera. Every major control can be accessed with a switch or button without removing your eye from the finder.

You nailed the direction. That is Venus.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:00 AM   #38

Greg -

Great collection of pictures from Klyde Warren Park. I especially liked the fifth one, the arched fountains with the Christmas tree in the background.

Tell me about your metering technique, if you would. I looked at the EXIF data and it showed all manual settings. Anything special? White balance?

V/R

Paul in NoVA
Still in the dark ages - E-500 & -510
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:42 AM   #39

Quote:
2013 has been a busy year of photography for me. I do have a few more chores about the house now and that Bonnie has not car-driven herself the past 3-yrs means I daily check our schedule and when some time is open I do get the camera bags loaded.

Just checked my Smugmug directories (galleries) for files count and found I have published 2000 files this year, which means that all the files are made available for the subject entities to use except for commercial profit \ usage. I know many have been used particularly the ones relative to the city of Arlington and that makes me extremely happy, I always get photo credit and invitations (sometimes including food).

.....this year published to Smugmug (I surely looked a a lot of files this year)

631 photos -- Arlington Parks and Recreation Department (city parks)

573 photos -- Nostalgia Nights weekly Friday local car show (the folks like seeing their cars and I get a huge reward (hugs) from it

200 photos -- EAA chapter 34 (Experimental Aircraft Assoc) Young Eagles Rally, summer rally at Arlington, TX airport and fall rallly Grand Prairie, TX airport (again hugs and thank you for making the photos available to the club)

506 photos -- Arts Festivals in Arlington (winter Art on The Greene) and fall (South Street Art Festival). The promoter is a young man whom I've known 30-yrs. I have an original Steve Moya art piece.

So, I keep busy and at my age it is very important to me to do so and photography as I go about it does keep me busy, exercised & thinking. Now to get the PP-editing software issue here settled. Probably I will update ASPro when/if (ever) COREL does and I will buy Lightroom with Lightroom being primary and ASPro for 'trimming' JPG files where and in ways LR either doesn't or LR does in ways I don't like such as how ASPro does layer isolation PP and cloning/healing.

Anyway, I am looking forward to 2014 with the E-M1 and fair-weather.
I hear you there Bob. I'm pushing 70 and like to keep my mind and body active. My mind is pretty active with trying to learn and decide on different photo editing programs and it is also adding to my blasphemous vocabulary. I get plenty of exercise as well making 6 to 8 trips downstairs per day, most of them because I forgot what I went down there for in the first place.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:53 AM   #40

Hi Paul.

I had the white balance in camera set to sunlight, which was not right so I tweeked it to a cooler 3700K manual setting in ACR to work better with the articifial lighting. When I go downtown this evening I may set white balance to auto and see how close to right it gets things. For normal daylight shooting I just leave it on sunlight.

far as the exposure goes, I was just watching my histogram and manually adjusting the exposures to not clip the highlights too much and stayed close to f2.8-4 to maximize as much as possible the shutter speeds, which were in the 1/10 to 1/30 range.

Once the sun was fully down ISO 800 was the right value to achieve those settings. In order to use the histogram effectively in manual exposure mode, you need to be manually setting all three variables, ISO, shutter and aperture. If you leave ISO on auto, you can be switching the other two around and the histogram might not do anything because the camera is adjusting the ISO's and you wind up possibly going all the way to whatever your maximum ISO setting is and I didn't want to wind up with a bunch of ISO 4000 to 6400 files.