Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:34 PM   #1

Default 2-guys w/new-toys on a COLD day

........hear it here first, Greg Chappell has a new E-M1!

Today we met at Arlington Camera and I took Greg to a quick walk through one of our parks, the one with the bridges that I've posted before.

It was PLAIN-COLD but Greg had his bag of m43 lenses and I had a few FT so we went shutter fluttering.

I shot RAW today which was my way of pushing my learning curve to use Lightroom 5.3. I intend to give LR53 a fair run, but there are certain things ASPro does better while the same is true for LR.

The following were all shot RAW from my E-M1 with the FT 14-54 type I lens, manual mode and thanks to Greg I learned more about using the histogram for exposure settings.

I like how the 14-54 handles on the M1 and the results are pretty darn good. I am happy with how the new-stuff here (hardware & software) is beginning to work.

Greg with my 50-200 2.8-3.5 Zuiko mounted to his M1 for an AF check, he liked all the FT lenses for AF. He also used his FT 8mm FE & FT 50mm F2, we had fun; did I say it was COLD today?

....these I did to get to a next level of skill with the LR software

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:15 AM   #2

Love it. Wish I had been there. And welcome to the E-M1 club Greg!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:19 AM   #3

And I was as cold as I looked.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:50 AM   #4

Beautiful. It's as if I was standing there looking over the creek myself. Congratulations.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:20 AM   #5

Really nice series of shots posted there, guys. And congrats to Greg on his new toy.

P.S. to Greg: I will be glad to take in your orphaned EM-5 for safekeeping. No use to clutter your house with unused equipment. I would even pay for the shipping cost to my home. LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Don't blame you at all for asking Steven.

I will probably be carrying that E-M5 along with the E-M1 and utilize them both . To this point my "backup" has been the E-P3, which is inconvenient since it uses a different battery and has the separate EVF to keep up with. The E-M1 with the 12-40 and the E-M5 with a mounted 75/1.8 or second zoom sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Now are we talking REAL cold, or Dallas cold? :P
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:19 PM   #8

Dallas cold, of course. Bob has some experience further north, but I am a certified thin-skinned Texan. Anything above 30 farenheit I can usually deal with fine, but when the north wind is blowing too,forgetaboutit.

Last February I sent a week visiting my daughter, who's stationed at McGuire AFB in southern New Jersey, close to Philadelphia. A week was about all I can take of that in February.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:46 PM   #9

I kid. 30s and wind is plenty cold, no matter where you are. Still, dry air I can handle; but when it starts getting damp or windy, yuck.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:58 PM   #10

....hey I lived the first 25-yrs of my life in COLD Missouri, Iowa & far NW Ontario, Can.

Then I moved to SoCal Orange County, CA and lived on the beach for 14-yrs which got me acclimated to decent temps, then to Arlington where anytime it gets below 45F it is officially cold.

The other day was COLD, no other way about that but Greg 30-minutes after we left AC the sun was shining and WARMING. I nearly stopped by the lake on my way home, then I remembered the wind.

So, you've been out with the M1 but I am seeing not many including Smuggy.... Your test walk samples look really nice. Did you go to the Dallas Old Park event?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote