Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:52 AM   #1

Default This is disappointing... latest EM-5 successor rumors

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-rumor-co...ssor/#comments

looks like the EM-5 successor will not contain the PDAF compatible sensor of the EM-1 .... this seals it for me... as soon as I see another good price I'm going EM-5
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:49 AM   #2

You never know what features will be reserved for higher level of camera, but I'm not all that suprised Olympus would reserve that one for the E-M1. It may also keep the 1/4000 maximum shutter speed and it may be a toss-up regarding whether they will use the bigger finder or not, and lots of other details still missing.

Will it still have a weak low-pass filter or none at all like the E-M1, and the dials used on the E-M1 are on another level too. I would imagine that difference will be retained, but an E-M5 with the more conservative / less consumer-like E-M1 processing? That would be a step forward, although the E-M5 does capture one hell of a raw file.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:44 AM   #3

removing those features wouldn't bother me too much. now removing weather sealing might be a bummer--missed some good shots this morning because I didn't want to take chances in the wet snow . . .
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You never know what features will be reserved for higher level of camera, but I'm not all that suprised Olympus would reserve that one for the E-M1. It may also keep the 1/4000 maximum shutter speed and it may be a toss-up regarding whether they will use the bigger finder or not, and lots of other details still missing.

Will it still have a weak low-pass filter or none at all like the E-M1, and the dials used on the E-M1 are on another level too. I would imagine that difference will be retained, but an E-M5 with the more conservative / less consumer-like E-M1 processing? That would be a step forward, although the E-M5 does capture one hell of a raw file.
I agree. And it kinda makes sense for Oly to offer a lower price point on a model to entice more consumers into the EM system. The M1 will be top dog, and the EM5 will be a somewhat cheaper alternative. Reminds me of when the cheaper E-30 was sold at the same time as the top dog E-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
removing those features wouldn't bother me too much. now removing weather sealing might be a bummer--missed some good shots this morning because I didn't want to take chances in the wet snow . . .
This (weather sealing) is the only reason I haven't purchased an E-PM2 or E-PL5...

I get the top of the line vs. mid-range argument.

The main problem I see is that the EM-1 took a big step in removing the Achilles heal of mirror less cameras, use-able continuous auto focus. Yes we get backwards compatibility with the FT lenses as a very welcome side effect but the ability to get AF on moving objects is a huge differentiation over other mirror-less camera and makes the OM-D line a serious alternative to a DSLR.

Take away the improved AF and you have a rehash of a model that has already been technologically surpassed.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:49 PM   #6

The good part is, there's still a lot unknown, even the rumored stuff. I know he marked it as an "FT5" rumor, but it's still a rumor. Other processing improvements could make the CAF function better compared to the E-M5.

I also don't think there's any way a successor for the E-M5 is not still fitted with the same level of dust and splash resistant sealing.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The good part is, there's still a lot unknown, even the rumored stuff. I know he marked it as an "FT5" rumor, but it's still a rumor. Other processing improvements could make the CAF function better compared to the E-M5.

I also don't think there's any way a successor for the E-M5 is not still fitted with the same level of dust and splash resistant sealing.

Putting some "reliable" rumors together in my head, I'm thinking that the long talked about Olympus 25/1.8ish lens will be weather sealed, a kit option for this new EM5.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM   #8

That would be a nice lens. It's definitely been one a lot of people have asked for.

With all the doom and gloom I have seen some post regarding the bottom line at Olympus I don't know which is true, either (1) Olympus is spending themselves into the poor house with all this new equipment, or (2) it's not as bad as some are saying.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM.