Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Merry Christmas

. . . . from tiny Beaver Pennsylvania.

Technically this shot has some issues, but in the end I decided I liked the gazebo display and the composition and didn't care.

This was handheld at ISO1600 (very high for me) and I was probably a bit heavy on the NR and should have left it. Also the lighting was very difficult for both the camera and for me--the outside was lit with intense spotlights, and inside was in shadow despite the lighting on the tree. I was hoping they would turn on the lights a little before dark, but no luck with that.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2

.......well heck Rudolph it is ok with me, I like it and being out walking about to shoot it must have been a Christmas moody time, love the snow. It is a really nice photo.

Merry Christmas

edited after the light mention ..... though I saw it first off, the light is secondary to my attention for the image. I would leave it as is if it were mine, it does not distract at all as might an attempt to rid it. IMO

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:27 AM   #3

I'm not well trained enough to notice what the technical issues are, but I think it turned out really well. One thing I would probably do though is to kill that floodlight on the right edge. The background is so dark I bet you could replace it with night sky and get away with it.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:52 AM   #4

Wow, great suggestion with the light in the background--don't know why I didn't think of it. The floodlights were arranged in strategically inconvenient places around the outside of the building--it took a lot of moving to block even most of them out. There were a few shots I liked more except for the giant flare-y blobs in the background. Ah well.

By "technically" I guess I just mean to frustration from having dark shadows and bright lights and not getting everything nice in the end. It's okay though--I like the warm glowy lights on the center tree.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:48 PM   #5

Beautiful picture Sammy, the strong light is going to be hard to remove or clone it.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Dec 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 PM   #6

I dig low light. Interestingly I didn't notice the flood light until reading comments. Due to the overall symmetry my eye was drawn to the tree.

Like Marcelo mentioned it will be difficult to clone out. Sometimes by reducing the highlights or whites of the image (or better yet the light itself) you can reduce its impact. You can also try to locally reduce the exposure or burning. None of these techniques actually get rid of it but can rather minimize the distraction.

Frankly I like it.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #7

I too did not register the light, I really like the tree and the surroundings. Short of carrying some black spray paint (water based of course) there is almost certain to be an annoying light somewhere in the shot when out and about in the "wild"
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:53 PM   #8

I like it, very Christmassie.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
I too did not register the light, I really like the tree and the surroundings. Short of carrying some black spray paint (water based of course) there is almost certain to be an annoying light somewhere in the shot when out and about in the "wild"
I agree.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote