Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Default BioFOS and the E-M1 (settings)

.........last night I read through http://tinyurl.com/n7sc6eq for the E-M1 settings explanation (each menu setting)==> http://tinyurl.com/kek3okf ... like so many others I have been reading BIOFOS for years and always find John's words helpful and so easy to read.

Greg and I talked about setting the histogram which Greg uses 100% time in setting exposure and now I am learning to use it also AND the digital level in the E-M1 at the same display. Our talk mentioned a number of reviews which say it is not an option in the E-M1 settings.

Yesterday we renewed that discussion when Greg found a certain switch/button combination that does show the 'histogram/level' displayed at the same time........... it is buried in the manual but who reads Olympus' manuals!

I accepted that finding since I had quit looking and instead of using the setting Greg used I found that '''' with the 'level @ 1/2 press' showed in the EVF bottom line, replacing the EV indicator '''' AND that it did so REGARDLESS the EVF Style setting (1, 2 or 3).

Now, I had set a EVF display grid to see how that would be and really found it to be a bit annoying; while doing the 'histogram/level' dodging I also turned OFF the grid setting to rid the EVF of that.

Guess what????? the digital-level now only played true with the EVF style set to either 1 or 2 but not for style 3.

I left my EVF style set to 1 (now 2) and am a happy camper that both the histogram and digital level are in the EVF when the shutter is pressed 1/2.

I know I saw the digital-level work regardless the EVF-style setting. I know I saw that but have NOT (only for style 1 or 2) since making some other setting change including changing the EVF grid to OFF. Can't make it all happen again..............

John (BIOFOS) has kinda confirmed what I just have written with this:

4j (vi) HALF WAY LEVEL: On, Off.
The manual says: If set to [Off], the level gauge will not be displayed when the shutter button is pressed halfway down. This is effective when [Built-in EVF Style] is set to [Style 1] or [Style 2]. My experience is different; regardless of how I set this the Level Gauge appears in the EVF no matter which screen style I have and enabled whether the shutter button is half pressed on not. I even tried removing the level gauge from the LCD display but this too made no difference to the display in the EVF. There must be a bug in this camera or I am missing something?
OBSERVATIONS: Please let me know if yours works as per the manual.

Today, mine does work per the manual.

I recommend (always have) reading John's BIOFOS and now for the E-M1, it can be very helpful and always it is interesting to see some of his comments.

Merry Christmas

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:37 PM   #2

So far mine has never showed the anomoly of actually working when the EVF was in mode 3. It sure is neat the level automatically comes on in EVF modes 1 and 2. That means I can, again, reprogram the Fn2 button to do something else....after I think about what makes the most sense based on how everything else is set up.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:47 PM   #3

I am using the Fn2 for the X2 'tele-converter' and have used it a few times.

I was actually a bit surprised the what I had set was very much in line with what John says; so I am reckoning most of the sets can just be plain common sense for everyday usage, anyway works for my simplistic needs.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:01 PM   #4

Greg, just looked at your Smuggy.... the main street photos are just awesomely beautiful, looks like you got the settings down perfect for the 12-40 and the 'AUTO WB' was perfect.

I pretty much only use auto WB, cuz I don't know much better. Rainy Sat so Bonnie and I are out for a matinee Christmas music show at Arlington Music Hall, next door to Babe's.... maybe i can talk her into early dinner after the show.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:38 AM   #5

You know, I have never been to Babe's, which should be a sin.

In WF visiting mom through Christmas Day. Saw some awesome lights tonight. Gotta go back and capture some of them one of the next couple of evenings.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:51 AM   #6

Greg,

I thought you might be there, hope the weather holds for the drive. We will (for the first time ever not to do Christmas eve dinner/gifts at our house) going to north Ft Worth to our son & daughter-in-laws home then south to Crowley Christmas day.

....and Babe's, ones first time there can be quite an experience, especially if in a group of more than 1 (lol). Served 'family style' with non-ending veggies (cream corn, green beans, mashed potatoes & cream gravy, fresh baked biscuits, BUTTER, honey, sorgham molasses PLUS either the fried chicken, pot roast, chicken fried steak or some other entrees.

There is always someone there for a special occasion so the 'Hokey Pokey' line dance is done for each of those announcements.......... it is a kick in the pants place. Before Arlington we drove to either Burleson or Roanoke.

Merry Christmas!

Bob

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM.