Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:45 PM   #11

Congratulations Allan for the new lens, very tempting the rebate.

Love the pictures, great colors and compositions.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Congratulations Allan for the new lens, very tempting the rebate.

Love the pictures, great colors and compositions.

Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:25 PM   #13

Few more from around town that same night. Now I need some good weather on a weekend to see how it works during the day.
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:40 AM   #14

.....love'em! There is something about 'main street angled parking' that causes me to like a town or shopping district whether I've been there or not been there.

The Liberty Plaza reminds me of the Barnes & Noble/movie/theatre/restaurant building downtown Fort Worth (including the elevated walkover) which is a full city block large.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....love'em! There is something about 'main street angled parking' that causes me to like a town or shopping district whether I've been there or not been there.
I know what you mean. Now if the street was lined with '57 Chevys, a few '50 fords and a roadster or two I'd feel right at home.

As always, thanks for your comments Bob.

Alan
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
After seeing Greg's comparison with the LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm I've been watching the price of the Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 on various websites for the last couple weeks. $999.00 is the standard fare from sites reputable enough to buy from. On a whim today I swung by a local family-owned camera shop just to check one out. When I asked the price he quoted the same $999.00. I asked if there were going to be any after Christmas sales and he said "just a minute" and proceeded to pull out a book to check for rebates etc. He said Olympus has a $200.00 rebate on the lens through Dec. 28th. Needless to say I now own one.

If it's indeed an Olympus sponsored rebate I suppose it would be the same anywhere. If you're interested in the
Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro now may be the time to buy.

BTW- It's an instant rebate. Not one of those mail-in things that you never get back.
It sounds as though a visit to our local photo shop is in the works for tomorrow morning. No magic incantations, just asking for after Christmas sales or rebates? It sounds elegant. (I don't see anything from the online sites, although maybe they will post tomorrow.)

Thanks for the news. It looks as though you are putting the lens to good use!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
It sounds as though a visit to our local photo shop is in the works for tomorrow morning. No magic incantations, just asking for after Christmas sales or rebates? It sounds elegant. (I don't see anything from the online sites, although maybe they will post tomorrow.)

Thanks for the news. It looks as though you are putting the lens to good use!
I think it's interesting the rebate isn't advertised online too. It wasn't noted in my local camera shop's newspaper insert either. Makes one wonder if you don't ask would the seller just keep the rebate? I've also wondered if the guy just said that because he saw I was about to walk out and he'd rather take a $200.00 hit over losing the sale.

If I were you I'd just stroll in to your local shop and tell them a friend bought one on rebate and if the rebate is still available you'll take one. See what happens. Let me know if they don't sell it to you on rebate. If my local shop still has one they'd probably ship it t you.

It is a fun lens. Don't think it's been off my camera since purchase.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:20 PM   #18

I'm very tempted to buy this lens, but I'm worried it is a bit too big for taking it on hikes and trekking in my pack. I currently use the 12-50, and was going to replace it with either the 9-18, the 12 f2, or the Panasonic pancake 14. The weather sealing is a plus, although I use a dry bag for the camera and wrap it in a hat on the top of my bag. It is pretty well protected.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:07 AM   #19

congrats on the new lens, I am super jealous, although for now my adapted 14-54 mk ii is filling that slot quite well... great lens for family gatherings; bright enough to use indoors with no flash and flexible enough to get most anything short of birding done.... I am sure the 12-40mm does it just a hair better being wider and also 2.8 through the whole range...

Wondering if you also got your EM-1 through the same shop? I remember there being a $200 rebate when they were bought together. Either way an excellent deal.

Santa unfortunately didn't bring me a new lens or camera but was kind enough to give me some Amazon gift cards towards one... so penny pinching is in order till I get enough socked away.

As for the first shots they all look great, I'm fond of the Jackson Jewelers sign, hard to get the sky and sign exposed like that, really very nicely done and the last city-scape with liberty plaza and the blurred headlights/taillights, always a favorite effect and nicely executed.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:31 AM   #20

p.s. I did get a reminder in my inbox today from Olympus that it was the last days of their stack-able lens rebate sale which gives you $200 off the 12-40mm, 12 f2.0, 9-18mm, or 75mm f1.8 when purchased with an OM-D EM-5, EM-1, E-P5, E-PL5, or E-PM2. They call it stack-able because you can get all four lenses and get $200 off each which would be a pretty sweet way to start a kit. Anyways here's the link;

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lens_promotion

I'm betting the local shop had sold a couple cameras so being able to give you the rebate was probably something they could pull off.

Heck you might just want to go back and see if they'll give you another $200 off the 9-18 ;-)