Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:56 AM   #21

I just went to the local shop and they had no 12-40mm lenses in stock (sold them in time for Christmas) and they had no listing of a $200 instant rebate, just the stacked promotion with the E-M1 (although they did not even have that advertised).

I brought my current camera -- a Panasonic GX7 -- with the Olympus 45/1.8 lens on it, and did a comparison of the same lens with the E-M1, a sort of A/B test. While both EVFs are bright and sharp, the E-M1's viewfinder was huge, as though it was magnified.

Now, I guess I could get $200 off the 12-40 if I also buy the camera, but that seems a bit backward way of getting a sale item.

Last edited by MacBook; Dec 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I'm very tempted to buy this lens, but I'm worried it is a bit too big for taking it on hikes and trekking in my pack. I currently use the 12-50, and was going to replace it with either the 9-18, the 12 f2, or the Panasonic pancake 14. The weather sealing is a plus, although I use a dry bag for the camera and wrap it in a hat on the top of my bag. It is pretty well protected.
If you're a serious backpacker who cuts the handle off a toothbrush to save an ounce this lens may be a bit much. It's more of a day hike lens. Stick with one of the pancakes, I like the original 20mm 1.7 Lumix. If a wider view is desired shoot a carefully hand-held panorama.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
p.s. I'm betting the local shop had sold a couple cameras so being able to give you the rebate was probably something they could pull off.
You might be on to something. I pre-ordered my camera from Amazon and got it fairly early.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote