Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
There was a time I used to buy B+W multi-coated UV filters for my lenses but I stopped a few years ago and today depend on just the hood for protection while shooting.

There is one specific time I would have a filter on-hand JUST in case, and that would be if/when I go back to the Caribbean, like St. Thomas USVI. On a boat with the possibility of salt spray, I would definitely use a protective filter.
Thanks Greg - I bought cheap UV filters, then upgraded to B+W (which was a marked improvement) but now find myself using hoods alone. I may be sorry some day but frankly none of my glass has ever been damaged, with or without a filter.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #12

Have to disagree based on experience. Given all the grit and grime that I regularly have to clean off my filter, to me that is the best reason for using the filters. I would much rather be cleaning the filters, instead of my front lens element. They are cheap insurance against lens damage and sratches. The only time I remove the filter is when shooting strong front light sources like sunset shots at the beach, as they can induce flare in such situations.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Have to disagree based on experience. Given all the grit and grime that I regularly have to clean off my filter, to me that is the best reason for using the filters. I would much rather be cleaning the filters, instead of my front lens element. They are cheap insurance against lens damage and sratches. The only time I remove the filter is when shooting strong front light sources like sunset shots at the beach, as they can induce flare in such situations.
You have a point there. I was mostly concerned about impact damage as I live in a place with relatively clean air away from the salty Oregon coast. I'll keep my eye on it though.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:48 PM   #14

chiPersei, Steven and Greg

I hear ya'all about filters... I think it comes down to whether or not the environment you shoot in leads you to get grime such on the filter or front element... It also has to do with whether or not you use the lens cap in between shots.

I know alot of people who leave the cap off when they are out shooting in between shots and swear by the filter for protection, for them it makes a lot of sense. I guess it depends on how quickly you want to be able to get the next shot.

I personally always am putting the cap on as soon as I hit the power button. The cap goes in a clean pocket, the same one I keep my smartphone in usually. I also don't use screen protectors on my smartphone, being an early adapter of smartphones I've had one since the windows mobile days some 10+ years ago, long before the iPhone. I have as a habit always kept my right pocket free of anything metal or scratchy because that's where the phone goes; left pocket is the money clip, change, keys, etc.... So point being the smartphone pocket is safe and the lens cap goes in there and then as soon as I am done shooting the lens cap goes back on the lens. Often times the camera goes back in the bag too or tucked in a pocket or behind a zipped jacket between shots, seeing as I don't have weather protection the idea of an errant splash would risk not only the lens front element but the body and VF-2 as well.

Over time I've tried using filters but frankly found that they do degrade performance some, granted I only have used the Hoya brand. I've looked at B+W but couldn't stomach paying $100 for a filter on a lens that costs me $300 or less...

I do however have some form of hood on my lenses or in the case of my 14mm f2.5 pancake I have a step up ring which allows me to put my CPL filter on it but also serves as a little bit of a hood to protect the front element.

So yeah I don't think I added much other than to say different strokes for different folks... maybe when I get an OM-D body and can actually go out in bad weather filters will make more sense for me...

Last edited by ramcewan; Dec 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:26 PM   #15

Another kind of "portraits" of sorts, today was my first opportunity to try the E-M1 with the 75-300 M. Zuiko (first version). Next weekend's going to start awful early as the photo club is going to meet at 6am in McKinney, just North of Dallas, and head to the Hagerman Wildlife Sanctuary on the Texas-Oklahoma border..

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/hagerman/

so I wanted to try the long lens and see how it performed on the new body.

At 109mm and into backlight..

234mm..

and 254mm from a different angle..

...and 300mm with approximately 50% crop to simulate the digital 2x zoom the camera will do. I shot raw+jpeg so I could view the jpeg while cropping the raw file in ACR to approximate the in-camera jpeg crop here..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:25 PM   #16

Wow Greg. Those are super shots of a GBH.

(He looks like one of the birds from my back yard.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:30 PM   #17

Damn, Greg. Your images always look so good.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:38 AM   #18

Thanks.

I've been playing with how I want to shoot with the 75-300 on the E-M1. I used shutter speed priority in capturing these, but I think going forward I'm going to use it in manual mode like I do the other lenses, setting my exposure manually based on what settings I want to use, keeping the shutter speeds fast for this type magnification and maybe f6.7-8 aperture, flip the two way switch on the back to the "2" setting which places the ISO setting on the front control dial and just move it to set the ISO based on the light and whatever it takes to use the pre-set manual exposure setting.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:45 AM   #19

.....sounds like a whole-lot-a-flipping-going-on but you do it better than anyone I know.

AND it sounds like a plan, the 2-way toggle is super efficient, one of the things I watch you do is (when possible) take the time to get the exposure exactly how you want it to be which is something I don't always do. The times we have shot together that is something I watch you do and with the excellent results that show.

I am anxious to see files from your trip to Sherman, sounds fun.

Have you updated the camera yet? For the m43 lenses perhaps the update isn't as needed as for the FT lenses @ C-AF. I recently attempted C-AF with my FT 70-300 and the result was horrendous out of focus files (very active ducks & grebes @ the lake shore). Most of it would be due to my skill but not one single image was usable, gotta do it again and work at it.

I've not updated the camera yet.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:10 AM   #20

Smile

MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote