Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #21

I like that

Hi Bob. Nope, not yet updated the firmware. Gotta do it at some point. I'm starting to use the 50mm f2 more and more, but it isn't going to be an action catcher for sure, even if the firmware helps although I do believe the 50 works as well on the E-M1 as it did on the Olympus DSLR's I used prior to the E-5. Next Saturday is going to be fun, but boy that sure is early....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
And from the Oregon coast.....
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Thanks.

I've been playing with how I want to shoot with the 75-300 on the E-M1. I used shutter speed priority in capturing these, but I think going forward I'm going to use it in manual mode like I do the other lenses, setting my exposure manually based on what settings I want to use, keeping the shutter speeds fast for this type magnification and maybe f6.7-8 aperture, flip the two way switch on the back to the "2" setting which places the ISO setting on the front control dial and just move it to set the ISO based on the light and whatever it takes to use the pre-set manual exposure setting.
You're giving me a complex. Please tell me you used a tripod at these higher magnifications. I have the Panny 100-300 and rarely get a shot as crisp as these, with or without tripod. Makes me wonder if I bought the wrong lens.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:12 AM   #24

Where I saw that GBH, which was the Japanese Garden at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, I'm not sure I would have been allowed to take a tripod in. Never tested them to see. It's one of two pay-to-get-in spots within the gardens and they tend to screen what you're carrying in a little closer.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
And from the Oregon coast.....
I like the west coast version, looking east (or is it north)? The east coasters are looking west, across a lake in Orlando.

Greg, do those prints maintain their incredible detail and pleasant bokeh when printing, say at 13x19 (my printer's limit) or larger?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:54 PM   #26

I do not do a ton of printing, but I think I'll order a 16x20 from Smugmug and take a look. 20x30 prints I've had printed from Olympus 8MP (E300) DSLR files look great and I would expect better from these.

Is there a specific image you would be interested in seeing? I could send it your way to take a look at. It would not be anything I would keep for framing anyway.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:42 PM   #27

Quote:
I like the west coast version, looking east (or is it north)? The east coasters are looking west, across a lake in Orlando.
That would be looking North with the gulls facing east.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Where I saw that GBH, which was the Japanese Garden at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, I'm not sure I would have been allowed to take a tripod in.
I think it's back to basics for me. And I really mean it. I've got to practice exhaling and slowly squeezing the shutter.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:43 PM   #29

Quote:

Greg, do those prints maintain their incredible detail and pleasant bokeh when printing, say at 13x19 (my printer's limit) or larger?
After my first reply, I noticed this post over at DPReview..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52813534
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:47 AM   #30

Quote:
I do not do a ton of printing, but I think I'll order a 16x20 from Smugmug and take a look. 20x30 prints I've had printed from Olympus 8MP (E300) DSLR files look great and I would expect better from these.

Is there a specific image you would be interested in seeing? I could send it your way to take a look at. It would not be anything I would keep for framing anyway.
The first and last of the GBH shots would be great, especially the last one that is cropped. I would like to try a 13x19, and expect it would be excellent. One of the gull shots I took, similar to the one above, is just wonderfully sharp at that size, taken with the E-M5 and Panny 100-300 lens.

Thanks, and happy new year!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote