Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:58 PM   #11

No, from some other download site that probably wants to put all kinds of stuff on your computer. I'll try that one. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
that's odd - you downloaded from here, right?

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

I've got the paid version for work, but I just downloaded the trail .exe and scanned it and I am getting no viruses ... maybe you downloaded it from one of them "freeware" sites?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #12

Thanks for the awesome advice on getting a picture off video I'll look into that.
I have read ever review for the camera I could find. I have watched tons of YouTube videos and I book marked various forums where people are discussing the camera and functions/settings.
I found a couple videos about old manual focus lenses and I have a couple on my eBay watch list. I am looking forward to actually learning more the "Point, Shoot, Share".
I know the Epl5 and the M5 are way better and newer but I don't have that much money to spend. I had a Canon sx20is and it malfunctioned in October. I ordered a Fuji XF1 on a lightening deal from Amazon but my the LCD screen was defective and I had to send it back. While I was checking it out I decided I didn't really like it anyway. My sister was pushing me to get a DSLR but I didn't want to carry a giant camera bag. I have shoulder problems and had to downsize to a wallet purse so I am really not going to pick up carrying a DSLR Lenses and bag everywhere. I figured a Micro4/3rds would be a nice compromise. I could get additional lenses learn some advanced photography skills in a small lighter package.
avic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #13

Hi,

I owned the EPL-2 for a about 8 months before upgrading to the OM-D EM-5. I liked the size but not the controls. However, in term of image quality, it was perfectly fine.

There are some examples: http://agilephotography.deviantart.com/gallery/33902357

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Hi,

I owned the EPL-2 for a about 8 months before upgrading to the OM-D EM-5. I liked the size but not the controls. However, in term of image quality, it was perfectly fine.

There are some examples: http://agilephotography.deviantart.com/gallery/33902357
That's what I have too. I am getting used to the controls, but I'm still kind of annoyed with the control dial for aperture and shutter speed. Starting to totally understand why people still prefer aperture on the lens.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by avic77 View Post
Thanks for the awesome advice on getting a picture off video I'll look into that.
I have read ever review for the camera I could find. I have watched tons of YouTube videos and I book marked various forums where people are discussing the camera and functions/settings.
I found a couple videos about old manual focus lenses and I have a couple on my eBay watch list. I am looking forward to actually learning more the "Point, Shoot, Share".
I know the Epl5 and the M5 are way better and newer but I don't have that much money to spend. I had a Canon sx20is and it malfunctioned in October. I ordered a Fuji XF1 on a lightening deal from Amazon but my the LCD screen was defective and I had to send it back. While I was checking it out I decided I didn't really like it anyway. My sister was pushing me to get a DSLR but I didn't want to carry a giant camera bag. I have shoulder problems and had to downsize to a wallet purse so I am really not going to pick up carrying a DSLR Lenses and bag everywhere. I figured a Micro4/3rds would be a nice compromise. I could get additional lenses learn some advanced photography skills in a small lighter package.
Most of us arrived at M4/3 for the same reason, small size but big image quality.

The E-PL3 will do well for you I am sure, the tilting touch screen is a really nice feature.

As for old manual focus lenses; they are a great way to experience a focal length before you invest in an equivalent micro four thirds lens. My advice is to pick a mount type and stick to that so that you don't end up buying a bunch of adapters, I like Konica Hexanon. The other bit of advice is to look for used camera "lots" like when someone finds an old Konica AutoReflex with a bunch of lenses in a closet, you can usually score much better prices than buying just the lens as they tend to get inflated. In the end though don't kid yourself into thinking you will be able to replace a modern lens with a manual focus lens, while they can be quite good, especially the nifty 50's, they'll never approach the ease of use of a modern lens made for your camera, and when it comes down to it, especially learning it is best to let the camera control the focus and fstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
That's what I have too. I am getting used to the controls, but I'm still kind of annoyed with the control dial for aperture and shutter speed. Starting to totally understand why people still prefer aperture on the lens.
Yeah it took me some time to arrive there as well but I do think I would enjoy having separate shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure offset controls... maybe I just need to learn the ways of setting it faster but when I need to bring up the info and mess with that control wheel to set the exposure offset a few notches or up the shutter it gets old quick.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:36 PM   #16

My EPL3 arrived yesterday! I charged the battery overnight and am exploring today.
avic77 is offline   Reply With Quote