Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I would not want the M10, the M1 is about as small as I'd want to go. And the 50-200 Oly lens would probably be cumbersome to handle with the M10 and then we do not know if the M10 is going to have fast focus with 43 lenses.
No Phase detection auto focus would be a definite "no go" for using any of the four-thirds lenses. Seems like that's going to be one of the high-end body feature differentiators you're not going to see on either a second-tier E-M5 or lower-end E-M10.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
....and then we do not know if the M10 is going to have fast focus with 43 lenses.
if 43 rumors are to be believed (and they were spot on with the E-M1 specs a month prior to official release) the E-M10 will not have PDAF on chip like the E-M1, instead opting for the same sensor as the E-M5/E-PL5/E-PM2/E-P5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I'd consider it. Come tax return time I'd like to see how prices/reviews/word of mouth is, and I'd consider a few things: sell the VF-2 to go for an EM10, used EM5, or GX7; or keep the VF and go for the EPL5. The resale value of the EPL2 is low and won't be worth selling.
interesting point... I just searched ebay and was surprised to see that the VF-2 is maintaining it's value at $125 or more used.... I would have thought it had dropped. This is something I will consider when moving to an OM-D style body with a built in EVF although I think I will miss the ability to view at an angle, but that may be okay given a tilting screen....

Either way I know I will be moving to a weather sealed body so as tempting as it is the E-PL5 will not make my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
People are obviously going to be comparing the new Oly25 with the Panasonic 25/1.4. I'll be more interested in hearing how it stacks up with my 20mm and whether it's worth a swap if prices are pretty close.

If they sell an EM10 kit with the 25 that would be very tempting for me.
I'm a big fan of the 25mm focal length, having tried the sigma 19mm I found it to be a tad to wide, so this might be my next prime but even so I am really feeling like an ultra wide zoom such as the 9-18mm would be more useful first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Looks like they're adopting the OMD-style body style to replace lower-end Pen models, if not all Pens.

That 25/1.8 looks to me closer in styling to the 45/1.8 than the 17.
hmmm I think the PEN line will still exist, Olympus has said the OM-D line will have a top tier, middle tier, and entry level. I expect we'll see staggered updates on both sides in this same three tiered approach;

PEN;
E-P5 - top-tier
E-PL5 - mid-tier
E-PM2 - entry level

OM-D;
E-M1 - top-tier
E-M5 - mid-tier
E-M10 - entry level
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

I'm a big fan of the 25mm focal length, having tried the sigma 19mm I found it to be a tad to wide, so this might be my next prime but even so I am really feeling like an ultra wide zoom such as the 9-18mm would be more useful first
I don't mind 20 (it's what I'm used to), but I might also end up using the 14 more often if the next lens up isn't quite as close. I think eventually I'd like to see a reasonable 10mm come out though.

Don't get me wrong I like the 20, but I've heard people talk about how it doesn't play well with the OMD EM5.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Jan 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote