Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:08 AM   #1

Default L.L. Camera of the year: OM-D EM-1

An interesting review done by Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape
on the EM-1. Made even more interesting, in that, he declares it the Camera of the Year for 2013. This, from anyone who has followed his reviews, from a guy who pretty much wrote off the fourthirds Olympus cameras when they were introduced.

Olympus has come a long way in developing a camera, that as he states, is designed by engineers who understand photography.

Anyways, the most interesting( to me) aspect of the review, is his explanation of the features of the camera and the settings he uses to take advantage of the best that the camera has to offer.

Hmmm, I may have to re-think my future camera requirements.......

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...3.shtml#update

WARNING: at least 1 cup of coffee required to read this lengthy and detailed account.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:08 AM   #2

......and I agree 100% with the review!

The camera will do exactly what and how one wants it to behave, PERIOD.

I will never use the camera for most of the function-sets possibilities but I will and do use my E-M1 with great feeling of handling comfort, the output files are of quality ABOVE my usage abilities and I now again use my FT lenses with superb quickness for AF that is equal to or faster than my E-3 for the same lenses.

The camera is expensive but relative..... it is what it is and I am so happy to have it. I wish all Olympus users could at least use the E-M1 one-time for an outing, it is simply amazing.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:11 PM   #3

I'm impressed enough with the way the E-M1 handles the four-thirds lenses I still have that I picked up a used 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 non-SWD Zuiko from KEH this past weekend at a great price to use with the 12-40mm f2.8 as a fast two zoom lens outfit until the day the new 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuiko hits the streets for sale.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:23 PM   #4

To someone who has never touched either, how would you compare it to your EM5 experiences?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:39 PM   #5

The E-M1 is a better handling E-M5. Virtually identical image quality, better ergonomics with more button/switch access to features you would have to normally access via the menus with the E-M5 and a really nice electronic viewfinder. The E-M5 finder is big. The E-M1 finder is huge.

If you happen to have or might want to buy any of the nicer DSLR four-thirds lenses, the phase detection AF of the E-M1 makes it THE Micro body to use those lenses. The Micro lenses are still faster focusing, but the E-M1 makes the Four-Thirds Zuiko lenses viable alternatives.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The E-M1 is a better handling E-M5.
Greg, are you talking about the EM-5 with grip here? I have big hands and even with the grip the EM-5 still feels too small -- until I add the battery add-on. Then it is almost comfortable, but still not quite.

Can't find anywhere nearby where I can find an EM-1 to handle, so I'm holding back on making a final decision.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:48 PM   #7

I've used the E-M5 both with and without the grip. "With" has usually been with just the upper part for the better grip with the larger lenses like the 12-40 and 75-300. With the 12, 25, 45 primes I can get along without the grip.

The placement of the two command dials on the E-M1 is more comfortable for me than the E-M5 with the upper grip, and they have a much nicer, tactile "feel" to them. Reminds me alot of the feel of the E-1, which was the best of the high-end Olympus DSLR's in terms of just being a lot of fun to hold and control.

The times I have used both pieces of the grip on the E-M5, it was JUST short enough the lower palm of my right hand often hits the rear command dial of the vertical grip and adjusts something unless I keep those dials off, which is kind of a PITA. The one piece grip of the E-M1 stands just enough taller my right palm does not hit that rear dial. Feels much better too.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:46 AM   #8

Thanks, Greg. I remember my E-1 and often have wished for that kind of handling in other Olympus bodies I’ve owned.

Whenever I’ve used the battery portion of the EM5 grip, I turn those dials off for the same reason. Besides, I get confused by duplicate dials and buttons on the same device. I’m 68 years old, and senior moments are quite frequent when I’m around camera gear. So I like to keep it simple!

Thanks again for the helpful reply.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:53 PM   #9

I feel the same as you Barefoot Pilgrim. Although the EM-1 specs are quite impressive, I don't think I would feel comfortable handling it. I know when I had the E-PL2 I was always engaging something I didn't want to, mostly the movie mode. If it is the same size as the film OM10 I could handle my friends OM10 and see what it feels like. I certainly would not want to shell out that much money without even holding one. The only camera dealer here is Best Buy and they do not stock the EM-1. I live in an area where cameras like that do not move fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPilgrim View Post
Greg, are you talking about the EM-5 with grip here? I have big hands and even with the grip the EM-5 still feels too small -- until I add the battery add-on. Then it is almost comfortable, but still not quite.

Can't find anywhere nearby where I can find an EM-1 to handle, so I'm holding back on making a final decision.