Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Flters and lens hoods?

Ok my camera is due to arrive tomorrow and I have been reading tons of Photography lesson sites and watched lots of YouTube videos. I have discovered I need a few things:
1) Filters
2) Lens hood
3) back up batteries
4) Good high grade SD card.

Ok I know what batteries to get and I have those in my cart on amazon. I have a class 10 16gb SD card and lots of little 1 and 2gb SD cards (like 10 of them!) But I don't know which lens hood or filters to buy! Also can you or do you use filters and lens hood together?
Are these one size fits all? will they differ depending on the lens I have? Is there a better filter... Amazon has lots to choose from and I am overwhelmed!

Thanks for helping

Last edited by avic77; Jan 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
avic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:55 AM   #2

You do not NEED any filters. At some point in the future, a ND filter might be useful for high dynamic range situations or a circular polarizor. But, you might have seen some recommendations that you NEED a filter to protect your lens. You do not. A lens hood is a much better investment. If you want a psychological crutch to make you feel better about the lens, buy a lucky rabbit's foot - you'll spend less money and get the same protection in MOST circumstances. The exception to this is if you spend a lot of time shooting in environments with blowing sand / salt spray. If you don't, then do not worry about a filter to protect your lens.

A lens hood, however, is a very useful device - it helps protect from flair as well as stray objects.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:02 PM   #3

Yeah, #1 purchase with a new camera should be at least one extra battery. Keep one in the charger (or in the pocket when you go out) and one in the camera. I've found a generic extra charger that will run in your car to be very useful too for trips.

I ran to filters and stuff too, but I don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would. HOWEVER, I recommend checking out 2filter.com. The website looks like something from 1998 but they're a great small business, and very willing to answer questions.

Go for the generic versions of the Olympus lens hoods for the most part. IMO Olympus is way overcharging for what they are.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:00 PM   #4

I think filters were more useful in the film days. With many quality photo editors you can create most any effect you want by using layers or built in filter effects. Be forwarned that many editors like Photoshop and Elements can be intimidating so it's advised to buy a good book on it....well intimidating for a guy in his 60's. But then again, Bob is up there in age and he seems to have no problem with editing and his car pics are super.

I have Elements 10 sitting on the shelf and I'm trying to get enough nerve up to install it again........after I buy a book. When I first looked at all the menus, etc I about jumped out of my socks.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:11 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You do not NEED any filters. At some point in the future, a ND filter might be useful for high dynamic range situations or a circular polarizor. But, you might have seen some recommendations that you NEED a filter to protect your lens. You do not. A lens hood is a much better investment. If you want a psychological crutch to make you feel better about the lens, buy a lucky rabbit's foot - you'll spend less money and get the same protection in MOST circumstances. The exception to this is if you spend a lot of time shooting in environments with blowing sand / salt spray. If you don't, then do not worry about a filter to protect your lens.

A lens hood, however, is a very useful device - it helps protect from flair as well as stray objects.
+2..... I'd add more, but that says it all.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:39 AM   #6

On lens hoods -- go metal or anything rigid. The collapsible rubber won't save you from an impact.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote