Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:44 PM   #11

Oh definitely. Don't get me wrong this lens could be a gamechanger in bringing in the "PRO" crowd.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:20 AM   #12

AP UK reviewed the lens last week and they could not stop praise this lenses enough. They gave it 5 stars across and I think from memory they were stating it was possibly the best m43 lens todate. Here'e a mini prereview with sample pics .. its not the full review which was in the print edition - that was several pages long.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...cticron-review

What I've never understood with Pana is why they don't make the lenses weathersealed, esp at the price this thing is going for?

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Those pictures looks fantastic, very sharp and nice bokeh but I agree with you Harj about the weather sealed element missing specially at that price point.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:11 AM   #14

Used in conditions where weather is an issue, the better option for me would be using something that'll limit lens changes, like the 35-100mm f2.8 that is both weather-sealed and gives you more composition flexibility. Doesn't hurt either that it's incredibly small for what it is.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Used in conditions where weather is an issue, the better option for me would be using something that'll limit lens changes, like the 35-100mm f2.8 that is both weather-sealed and gives you more composition flexibility. Doesn't hurt either that it's incredibly small for what it is.
I get that. But if it's bad enough that you need weather sealing, won't it also be dark enough that you want a really big aperture?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:23 PM   #16

If I were still shooting with the E-P3 that'd be a legitimate issue with the less than optimum higher ISO performance, but with an E-M1, E-M5 or any of the newer 16MP bodies, moving up the ISO range two stops with an f2.8 zoom is not an issue.

The lowest, murky lighting I ever shot in was down in the Paris Catacombs with the E-P3 and 12mm f2 at ISO 400, very slow shutter speeds and the E-P3's stabilization worked very well. If I were there today with the E-M1 and its' 5 axis stabilization system, I'd be using one of the f2.8 normal zooms, the 35-100mm f2.8, would not think twice about using ISO 1600-3200 and be perfectly happy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:25 AM   #17

Gotcha. I'm probably underestimating the difference that the sensor upgrade would make.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:57 PM   #18

Speed is always nice though. If $1,800 ever became "available" in my account, there's no telling what I might do....