Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:37 AM   #1

Default ....it was a kinda squirrely but ducky day

WELL!!! Finally a super nice warm & bright January day and a chance to break a 3-week cabin (camera) fever so out with the E-M1 & ZD 50-200.

I hardly used my ZD 50-200 during 2013 because I only carried the E-3 a couple times and the ZD 50-200 is just not a fit to the E-P3. So, yesterday I did the 'how's the lens really do on the E-M1'

Though I have hooked the 50-200 onto the E-M1 once or twice early on to check the AF and feel, this was the first time out to really learn about the combination.

The handling is super good , but pretty hefty if one just wants the M1 to feel as though it only fits well with m43 lenses. However, the overall handling is so good that I never once thought about it.... (a bit like when the game is over and no one talks of the officials, they must've done a pretty good job)

AF for the 2.8 -3.5 lens set at manual exposure, fixed ISO and still learning about using the histogram as Greg suggests makes this camera/lens combination a real joy.

I am really put out with COREL/ASPro because the E-M1 is not yet updated for ORF file processing, as are many ASPro shooters of other cameras introduced during the past 6-months and not updated yet to ASPro. Anyway I have pretty much decided after trialing LR53 that LR53 is just not what I want to change my workflow to, so I will continue with ASPro looking forward to the new V2.0 that will, according to COREL, include all the current cameras at release time, we will see when/if that ever happens.

NOW!!!!!! Because of the software hassle I've only shot JPG files with the E-M1 except for testing RAW w/LR53. I MAY ONLY SHOOT JPG FILES WITH THE E-M1....... the jpg is that good (for me) and ASPro edits what little is necessary just fine while keeping my data management the same as I want.

These are image files from yesterdays outing, all with the E-M1, ZD50-200, manual exposure, AF, fixed but different ISOs and WB set to SUNNY.

The detail in the jpg files is better than most of my RAW done from the E-3 and PPd.

......the jpg detail is remarkable (actually Greg & many have talked about it, now I have)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:32 AM   #2

Bob: those shots are super detailed and with excellent color! You and that combo really clicked on that outing.

P.S. I haven't shot raw in ages. I'm one of those who like the detail and color in Olympus jpegs, and could not justify the extra work to do raw when the improvements were only marginal.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:53 AM   #3

wow Bob, super shots that is a sweet combo for sure, I am really happy that fine piece of glass is getting a new life and just wow the detail is truly impressive
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Sharp indeed Bob. It was a beautiful day on Saturday. Temps are even nicer today, but the wind is a real pain.

I did some raw+jpeg shooting myself yesterday, using the Olympus 12-40 and Panasonic 12-35 f2.8's against one another at ISO 100 and was pleasantly suprised using auto gradation in the contrasty light, but still felt the several raw files I processed and compared to the jpeg's still do it better for me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:55 PM   #5

Bob, ZOWIE! Great detail in those shots for just JPGs. Especially love the close-ups!

Are you hand-holding that sucker? I've never been able to hand-hold my 50-200 no matter what shutter speed I use .
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:10 PM   #6

.......well, the E-M1 is the camera I waited for and going forward 'picture takin' will again be fun.

When the critters become numerous this year, I hope we have butterflies again, I will be so happy. Last year was good for me, my nature work and the car shows were all done with the E-P3 which does work so well with the ZD 9-18 that I may use that combo w/VF2 again for the cars.

Bob, yes, handheld.

I've had the 50-200 since 2006 and used it with E-300, E-3 and now the M1. I have never had an issue hand holding it. I used the E-3/50-200 to shoot high school baseball for 3-yrs, it worked well hand held for that.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:35 AM   #7

I like the last squirrel. That boulder field is pretty interesting too.

We've had quite a warm-up here after hitting a record-for-the-date low of -11 early last week (along with a record low "high" of +0). I know our more Northern friends could mock me for this, but I really haven't been in the mood to go out and shoot (though the iceflows on the Ohio are quite interesting indeed).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:23 PM   #8

Looking again and on your site those really are sharp. Did you make any adjustments in your parameters, additional sharpening, contrast, etc, or did you just use the defaults?

I like your site setup alot. One thing I was running into though, I could open the folders but the images were not viewable using Google Chrome. Had to resort to using Internet Explorer
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:43 PM   #9

The camera settings for sharpening, contrast, etc are set to 'zero'. I run all the JPG files through ASPro for some a small adjustment for tone and exposure and where I want, adjust contrast, sharpening, vibrance etc in ASPro.

The files are good enough OOC that they will play quite well as shot. The file above, oak leaves against the clear blue sky is OOC as shot.

For the site, I built it right away when Smugmug made the system upgrade. I've always liked the conventional layout and now with code snippets to add character (rounded corners, controlled sideshow, shadows etc) it is the best of the layouts for me.

I can't think of a reason Chrome browser did not work, I regularly use Firefox but just now checked Chrome against mine and your sites, it worked with no problems, I ran on both the iMAC 27 and my mini MAC network client.

Have you gotten your 50-200?

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10

Not a fan of squirrels, but these are very amazing shots. Looks like you should have a good amount of fun with the M1 and your 50-200.

As to your frustration with ASPro, I would hazard a guess that chances are slim Corel will be updating the program anytime soon. Took part in a survey and the main drift was pricing -- new features and improvements were secondary. But they have introduced a new version of their Painter program and I would bet that it has improved its core photo abilities with code from ASPro. ACDsee did the same thing when they bought Canvas from Deneba.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote