Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:47 PM   #1

Default I've Never Used Bracketing All That Much Before..

...but I may start a little more, especially since it's so easy to get at now with one button press.

Did a couple of 5-exposure brackets shooting a sunset yesterday with the E-M1 and 12-40 Zuiko at ISO 100. Made myself as steady as possible.....5 shots in continuous shooting mode when the camera captures 10 frames in a second are captured pretty much instantly so tripods are not all that important unless you're using really slow shutter speeds.

Out of the five images I picked two that did the best job exposing the highlights and shadows, processed both raw files into jpegs and combined them using layers and a layer mask, kind of a fun process, especially when you can paint on the mask with a Wacom pressure-sensitive pen instead of a mouse.

It was almost too late to try some initial outside shots with the 50-200 Zuiko I purchased last week but I got off a test shot or two in some low light, this one at 1/160 second....part of the shutter speed range where so many complain about some urban legend called shutter shock. I ain't seein' it here, especially reading all those monuments at the larger sizes..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Beautiful photos Greg. So are you, for instance, laying one photo on top of the other and painting out the overexposed sky of the brighter photo?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:13 AM   #3

Exactly. Did it with a layer mask so none of the painting was permanent if I wanted to go back and make changes.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:51 AM   #4

Beautifully done. Looks much more realistic than the usual HDR image.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:36 PM   #5

I've never attempted this and don't really have a clue how to, your results look great.

Other than putting single files through Photomatix Pro which I've had a long time but never have used it on a multi image file set.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:30 AM   #6

very cool photos, bracketing comes in handy for HDR too
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Spent a day high in the alps this past summer and used the PL1's auto bracket as i thought would need the extra exposure latitude with the sky, snow and mountain sides. Got home and then ran the images through Photomatix. Turned out that I could get better results working with ASP with the best image of the three. Maybe if I could have used a larger range of exposures.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote