Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:55 PM   #31

I also like both shots. (And I also like the red tint of the bushes from the car brake lights. It gave a nice effect without degrading the stars.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:24 PM   #32

Hi chiPersei, nice shots.

I've had the car down the street experience before too, and even had it appear as a 'ghost' car across the image when photographing lightening storms.

A question.
Have you tried to deliberately overexpose these shots (seems to be called ETTR - Expose To The Right) and adjust it back in post processing ?
Or do you do that already?

Curious to see what the difference is.
I read about it here in a PDF guide on lonelyspeck, it's mentioned just after half way.
http://www.lonelyspeck.com/wp-conten...uick-guide.pdf

Cheers,
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
A question.
Have you tried to deliberately overexpose these shots (seems to be called ETTR - Expose To The Right) and adjust it back in post processing ?
Or do you do that already?
Haven't tried it yet. It seems so counter intuitive! Having said that, I did watch the guy's video you linked to earlier in the thread and it sure does seem to work. I'll read the pdf to gain a better understanding and try ETTR next time out. Thanks!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Haven't tried it yet. It seems so counter intuitive! Having said that, I did watch the guy's video you linked to earlier in the thread and it sure does seem to work. I'll read the pdf to gain a better understanding and try ETTR next time out. Thanks!
It does make a little sense to me if I think of it as the reverse of pushing up brightness of an underexposed shot, which always leads to more noise if done to excess. I think the key point is that ETTR must not peg-out on the RHS of the histogram fully, or picture info is lost and not processable.
I guess RAW mode is a must too, which I regularly forget.
If I get a chance to try it myself I will.
Martin

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Mar 3, 2014 at 6:33 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:03 AM   #35

Default Try again with the old E-520

Thought I'd have another crack at getting a reasonable nightscape with the E-520 (while I save my pocket money for an E-M1).

The trouble is I think that it just won't gather enough light with it's poor ISO limit and the F3.5 lens for attempting ETTR within the 20-30 seconds to avoid start trails.

But here's the best results so far. It was a partial moon lit night (not optimum) and 150km out of town, the three shots are the Milky Way, West horizon with moon, East horizon. These shots were done around midnight IIRC, with 20s or 30s exposures at max ISO (1600).
Played with the Olympus Viewer 3 RAW editor but the images are so far ETTL that I don't gain much from adjustments.

Nought to do but keep saving...
Martin
Attached Images

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Mar 20, 2014 at 5:08 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:39 AM   #36

Have you seen the various write-ups about this new "live composite" feature on the Em10? Sounds like a neat thing to play with, and even though "the experts" might consider it cheating I've never claimed to be anything but a rank amateur, haha.

"A pretty unusual feature of the E-M10 is its Live Composite function, which builds up the final exposure by capturing and combining multiple exposures, and which takes the brightest pixel from all the shots at any given pixel location. This technique retains dark shadows, unlike a purely additive technique."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olym...-e-m10/10#comp

They've been doing some firmware updates on the OMD models so maybe it'll make it to the others. I don't see why not.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post

They've been doing some firmware updates on the OMD models so maybe it'll make it to the others. I don't see why not.
It is also on the E-M1, not sure if it will get pushed down to the prior models that don't share that image processing engine.

Steve Huff mentions it in his excellent write up of the E-M1, including two sample photos where the feature was used for light writing

Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
Thought I'd have another crack at getting a reasonable nightscape with the E-520
Congrats mr.sneezy! Big improvement. "Orion" shows well in #2 in spite of the moon. I will say he looks almost upside down from my perspective and if he wasn't above the horizon I'd think your camera was mounted upside down. Since that wasn't the case I suspect you live a wee bit south of me.

Nice job.

Last edited by chiPersei; Mar 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM. Reason: Orion - Onion. What's in a name? Thanks Sneezy
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Congrats mr.sneezy! Big improvement. Onion shows well in #2 in spite of the moon. I will say he looks almost upside down from my perspective and if he wasn't above the horizon I'd think your camera was mounted upside down. Since that wasn't the case I suspect you live a wee bit south of me.

Nice job.
Thanks, I think that's about the limit with that body and that lens though. BTW, I didn't know about the constellation of 'Onion' LOL.
Spell checker got you I'd say

Yep, I'm down-under, well South.

The OM-D Live Composite function sounds interesting. I wonder if somebody can try a Nightscape for us using it if they have a dark sky ?
A brace of 15-20 second exposures would be nice to see.

" Base exposure time per image is set by the user from 1 second up to 60 seconds, and a composite can last up to 3 hours. The camera prompts the user to record an initial image for noise reduction, and once that's done a press of the shutter starts the composite. The composite ends when the shutter is pressed a second time."

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Mar 21, 2014 at 7:19 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:43 AM   #40

Interesting Olympus video interview about OM-D and PEN line-ups.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M7voKGHKDs