Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 AM   #51

Gorgeous. Although there are fewer stars in the first one it's my favorite because of the foreground and gradient in the sky. Must say that last one is pretty special though. Amazing how many points of light there are out there. Pleiades is well positioned this time of year. Bravo.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
..... Then I adjust manual focus using the LCD panel for viewing. With Magnify 'On' it auto zooms to the center of the frame and detail is high enough to get a sharp focus.......
Wow Sneezy. Just reread your post. When I used the magnify method I was looking through the EVF. Nice to know it can be done using the LCD as well.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:44 AM   #53

chiPersei - the LCD is a bit easier to use when tilted out than the EVF when the camera is mounted on the tripod and pointing up.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
chiPersei - the LCD is a bit easier to use when tilted out than the EVF when the camera is mounted on the tripod and pointing up.
Makes sense to me. I didn't think of it because I very rarely use the LCD to compose a photo. Also I was sitting at a table on a motel balcony with the tripod (not extended) on the tabletop when I learned I could focus on bright stars. Pretty comfy for using the EVF. I'll try the LCD next time out. Frankly I wish there were a way to turn the LCD off though. In dark settings the light from the LCD doesn't bode well for dark adapted eyes.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:51 AM   #55

Quote:
chiPersei - the LCD is a bit easier to use when tilted out than the EVF when the camera is mounted on the tripod and pointing up
....seems a situation for a VF-2, 3 or 4. I rarely use my VF-2 on the E-M1 but this would be a time for, I think.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....seems a situation for a VF-2, 3 or 4. I rarely use my VF-2 on the E-M1 but this would be a time for, I think.
Ditto. Great eye-level, right-angle finder.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Great idea Bob. For casual playing around with star photos having a lit LCD is not really a big deal. However, a guy would be summarily tongue-lashed (if not drummed out) at the Texas Star Party or Oregon Star Party if the LCD either wasn't turned off or otherwise shielded.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:16 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Great idea Bob. For casual playing around with star photos having a lit LCD is not really a big deal. However, a guy would be summarily tongue-lashed (if not drummed out) at the Texas Star Party or Oregon Star Party if the LCD either wasn't turned off or otherwise shielded.
I wonder if it's a matter of taping on some red tinted gel filter plastic across the LCD to make it night friendly (a 'night mode' setting to red output only from the Olympus firmware programmers might be a nice feature for V3.0 firmware).

You can turn down the LCD brightness in the settings menu too though, and this might stick with a 'myset' for night photography.
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:20 AM   #59

Just spent a few hours getting to know DeepSkyStacker with my astro Raw images.
So far I'm encouraged, as this was only a 'stack' of five frames (ISO6400, 10sec, 60mm).

One original frame first, then a stacked and slightly tweaked final in GIMP (they look very soft on the post, on my PC at full resolution they are a lot nicer to view).
Attached Images

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Jan 2, 2015 at 2:23 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:11 AM   #60

Default Not the expected Nightscape but...

This is happening about ten km away from us tonight.
Attached Images