Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:00 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
This is happening about ten km away from us tonight.
that looks scary, stay safe mr. sneezy!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:46 AM   #62

Default Getting better perhaps

My last effort with a Milkyway Astro image (not so much a Nightscape), I think I can do a bit better with more PP time.

A stacked image.
50 raw frames of 10 seconds, 12mm, F3.2, ISO3200 with the OM-D E-M1.
F3.2 was accidental, I must have bumped the aperture setting dial just before the first image. I'd have normally used F2.8 (wide open on the 12-60mm SWD).
Next time out I'll try the Asahi Pentax 50mm F1.7 I was recently given, and go to 100 frames. It will not be a wide field shot like this though...
The time lapse on the E-M1 is a great help for capturing images for stacking, I just set it to 50 frames, an arbitrary 2 seconds delay between (give it time to write to SD) and walk away for 15 minutes
Also tried Composite mode a little. Looks like it's not what you'd want for Astro but does make easy start trail images for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Feb 15, 2015 at 5:48 AM.
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:10 AM   #63

Default Better again...

Using the Asahi Pentax 50mm F1.7 lens I was given I took another 50 frame series of the Milky Way last week. This lens gathers noticeably more light than the F2.8, and that means I have to retest various ISO's and shutter times to get the best out of it. After shooting the frames used for this image I realized that the flares seen around bright stars nearly was eliminated by going just one stop down in aperture from F1.7 (to F2 I think). So I need to do it again next dark night to see if I can get a sharper set of images. From a few single frame tests I think it will...
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitamelane View Post
nice result

I agree.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:47 PM   #65

Next outing I hope to sharpen it up a bit at one stop down from F1.7. It was at the end of the session that I found out how much flare (if that's the right term in relation to bright highlights fuzzing out) was reduced at one stop closed from full open. It's quite dramatic too, like 75% to pluck a figure...

Since shooting that series two weeks ago I'm now looking for the F1.4 version of that lens, greedy me

What I also want to do now is go a shoot a few proper nightscapes with this lens, but with the 50mm view I'll have to pick smaller foreground subjects than with the 12mm.