Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Corel is putting Pop-Up ads in the paid version of PSP
...and this is what I'm expecting of the next version of ASPro and likely for AMD hardware since the ASP rewrite is, based on COREL's sayso, centered toward AMD.

If ASPro does ads and I can't turn them off then I will do what I don't want, forget ASPro/Bibble Pro after an 8-year run.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I really need to buy a book on it and delve into it with the book in my hand. I'm sure it is not too difficult once you know what tool is for what and how to use them. The layers seem especially confusing.
I've never "become one" with layers but if I want to do something that's more easily done with layers I'll google it. For instance, I wanted to remove all the color from a photo except that of the flowers. Even though I've done it a couple times it's not committed to memory. If I want to do it again the 5-minute youtube video tutorial will be waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm not an editing nut to begin with and just usually do some sharpening and cropping and perhaps nudge the color a little.
The hook is set. :-)
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:49 PM   #13

That is very wrong. If you pay for software there should be no pop up ads. I can see that for a trial version but not for a paid version. Just what you need, you are concentrating on a photo edit and up comes an ad.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Some of the tutorials I have viewed are informative I guess but the woman talks so fast you cannot keep up with her, its bam bam bam. Too bad some company doesn't make a set of cheat cards for PE. :-) They do it for cameras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I've never "become one" with layers but if I want to do something that's more easily done with layers I'll google it. For instance, I wanted to remove all the color from a photo except that of the flowers. Even though I've done it a couple times it's not committed to memory. If I want to do it again the 5-minute youtube video tutorial will be waiting.

The hook is set. :-)
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Lightroom
Nik plugin suite
flickr
I'm thinking of getting and learning PS or something similar, but for experimenting I really can't justify the cost yet.
Checking out that Nik Plugin Suite. Looks pretty nice. Do you use any of them with regularity?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Checking out that Nik Plugin Suite. Looks pretty nice. Do you use any of them with regularity?
I like them a lot. I use Viveza most of all, but also colorEfX (filters) and the noise reduction and sharpening ones from time to time.

SilverEFX (Black and white processing) should work almost like Viveza, but I really have not had very good results with it. It's just me and not the software though, I've seen plenty of examples of great work done with it. I have not played with the HDR one much yet.

I have not tried too much other software to give a good comparison, but the powerful "Control Points" that the Nik bundle uses makes it really easy to grab/mask different parts of an image to selectively apply NR/color control/etc. The software is pretty good at choosing similar parts of the image, but you have control too. For example, you could use a control point to apply a grad filter or NR to the sky but not your foreground, or to change the color of a specific object. I think you could probably do many of the same things with LR or Photoshop or whatever, but not as easily. I also really like many of the sliders and treatments available.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote