Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:56 PM   #1

Default ....FT 35mm MACRO lens and the E-M1

WOW! I am itching for spring to happen.

Today I checked out the FT 35mm MACRO on the E-M1 and like all the other FT lenses it performs AF in a wink of time. This lens produces excellent quality results on my E-P3 but will be even better with the super quick AF on the M1 which will get a few more quick shots of 'skittish' bugs where the P3 focused better for caterpillars, spiders and anything else that doesn't move quickly.

The test shots I did today was with my favorite indoor model (Autumn was just waking) with the camera set to P-mode..... I only wanted to see the AF speed and end-result image quality in relatively low window light. These images are uncropped. I forgot to change metering to spot but center-weight average was pretty tight at the close focus distance of about 12-inches.

The checkout was perfect, the 35mm will certainly be in the bag again this summer.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Nice detail on those shots and have the same lens but do not use it too often. Maybe it's time I start using it more.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Your images are looking mighty fine Bob. Crisp, sharp detail in the hair and eyes. Not to mention I like cats.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:39 AM   #4

These are really sharp, and I love the expression on number two. You may have the next grumpy cat
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Autumn always rises to an occasion, she is 5 1/2 yrs, born feral, doesn't tolerate holding but loves 'love' simply on her terms..... 'grumpy' maybe (lol).

Tnx for the remarks, the 35mm FT has always given really good results but I only used it with my E-3 but now with the M1 it will get more usage.

It is a fun lens to use for the tiny wild flowers, some of which are less than 1/4 inch blooms and for insects, it is a very sharp landscape lens as well.

The coming spring and summer months with the M1 will be great fun with my FT lenses , though next up for check out will be the m40-150, maybe tomorrow.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:41 PM   #6

Cats have a mind of their own and they will do as they please. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Autumn always rises to an occasion, she is 5 1/2 yrs, born feral, doesn't tolerate holding but loves 'love' simply on her terms..... 'grumpy' maybe (lol).

Tnx for the remarks, the 35mm FT has always given really good results but I only used it with my E-3 but now with the M1 it will get more usage.

It is a fun lens to use for the tiny wild flowers, some of which are less than 1/4 inch blooms and for insects, it is a very sharp landscape lens as well.

The coming spring and summer months with the M1 will be great fun with my FT lenses , though next up for check out will be the m40-150, maybe tomorrow.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:07 PM   #7

Had a chance to use Zig's 35 Zuiko macro year before last when we were shooting around his place at Cape Cod. It's more "Micro like" than any other four-thirds lens in terms of weight. It's considerably lighter than even the 50mm f2 Macro, goes to life-size on its own to boot and the files I used it for were very sharp like these. With the E-M1's PDAF abilities, this has to be a winner of a lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:50 PM   #8

Super images Bob. Well done.

(Whenever I see your cat shots, I always think of that little video link you posted years ago of walking a cat on a leash. LOL)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:52 PM   #9

Quote:
(Whenever I see your cat shots, I always think of that little video link you posted years ago of walking a cat on a leash. LOL)
Yep, that was Autumn her first winter & spring 5-years now. We quit the leash/walk thing when it got hot in the summer and never took it up again.

She just sleeps and watches outside from the windows, she weights 15-pounds now, she is one lucky feral cat, we love her much.

This is the video of a leash/walk ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCwSrqaUMg

Thanks for remembering,

Bob

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:56 PM   #10

Bob I think they look pretty good with shots 3 and 4 being my favorites, really nice shots with excellent detail and the kitty looks like a cute one.