Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:32 PM   #1

Default FYI: the new OMD-EM10 is coming next week.

Smaller and cheaper than the EM5. Has the EM5 sensor and 3 axis stabilization. Announcement will be Jan 29, 2014.

Here is the size comparison to the slightly larger EM5
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:24 PM   #2

Nice & small, that's for sure. Three lines of OMD's and the Stylus 1 seems like about one model too many to me, unless the EM10 is replacing either the E-PL or E-PM Pen line.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:43 PM   #3

Seems like a lot of unnecessary expense to design a new body for a model similar to the M5 when the EM5 body would have been fine.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Seems like a lot of unnecessary expense to design a new body for a model similar to the M5 when the EM5 body would have been fine.
I doubt that they spent much on designing that body, James; it looks like they made a body that borrows heavily from both the Stylus 1 and the EM5. They are trying to expand the market appeal by making it several hundred dollars cheaper than the EM5.

And I wonder if it will not be the perfect alternative to the folks moving up from the Pen series. It looks about the same size as an EP5, and gives them a built in flash and a built in viewfinder.

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:32 PM   #5

I have a feeling at least one Pen line, if not all, are going away. This makes way too many models within Micro Four-Thirds for Olympus to try and maintain. Maybe they keep the high-end E-Px and make the E-M10 the entry level/smallest option Olympus Micro body.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:42 PM   #6

Quote:

I've been following it with interest as a possible upgrade to my EPL2. An EM5 used/refurb might be a better option in the end, though.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Rumors
Olympus OMD E-M10
- Sensor: 16.05 million pixel (same as E-M5)
- Monitor: 3.0-inch LCD. 1.04 million dots. Tiltable. Capacitive touch panel
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO200-25600
- Shutter speed: 60 seconds to 1/4000 sec
- Continuous shooting: Up to 8 frames per second
- Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC. UHS-I support
- EVF: 1.44 Million dots
- Autonomy: 320 shots
- Video 19201080 30p 24Mbps. MOV, H.264
- Battery: BLS-5
- Size: 82.3mm x 45.9mm depth height 119.1 x width
- Weight: 350g (body only). (Including battery and media) 396g
- Lens kit (14-42mm F3.5-5.6EZ).
- Double Zoom Kit (40-150mm F4-5.6R and F3.5-5.6EZ 14-42mm)
- Body color is black and silver
- Estimated retail price of 80,000 before and after the body only. Lens kit is around 95,000 yen. Double zoom kit is around 110,000 yen
So basically a sized down EM-5 with the same guts and likely no weather sealing. Presumably it will have the WiFi functionality of the EM-1.

I am really wondering about the price though, 80,000 Yen is around $750 and with the EM-5 selling at $799 I don't see any value in stepping down to this model.

Personally I am going to pass on this EM-10 and keep my sites set on an EM-5, kinda kicking myself for not jumping on that black Friday factory refurbished price at the moment... hopefully we will see that price point again although if I have to wait till next black Friday I think I can, my E-PL2 is still shooting just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have a feeling at least one Pen line, if not all, are going away. This makes way too many models within Micro Four-Thirds for Olympus to try and maintain. Maybe they keep the high-end E-Px and make the E-M10 the entry level/smallest option Olympus Micro body.
I don't know the PEN rangefinder form factor is very popular.

I see Olympus pursuing a three tiered approach; there will be an entry level, mid level and pro level to each of the two lines, OM-D and PEN. The EM-10 completes the OM-D line.

We see the same thing with the kit zooms now; an ultra compact non-weather sealed one for the EM-10, a weather sealed one for the EM-5, and a PRO weather sealed one for the EM-1.

I think this also represents the buying segment;

- we have the people who buy a new camera every 5-10 years who wouldn't care about weather sealing but would want a pop up flash, etc, who are served by the entry level E-PM2 or EM-10

- we have the people who want more and who are willing to pay more, the very people who come here and discuss and read about photography, but aren't yet willing to drop over a grand on a camera, they are served by the E-PL5 and EM-5

- then we have the pros and the non-pros who want the best in features and don't mind dropping a grand or more on a camera, they are served by the E-P5 and EM-1

The first and second groups or the second and third groups could not be merged without alienating one segment. Get rid of the entry level and new buyers and occasional buyers will go elsewhere. Get rid of the mid segment and you miss out on the enthusiasts who isn't willing to spend for the top level. Get rid of the top level and you forever are seen as a consumer product maker, like Samsung and their NX series.

The thing I see though is a more staggered release approach, no longer will we see three models coming out all at once like the E-M5, E-PM2 and E-PL5 did, as evidenced by the bargain basement price for the E-PM2 ($403 will net you an E-PM2 two lens kit right now 14-42 and 40-150) putting them out altogether hurts sales. Instead I think we will see more staggering like there was between the EM-5 and EM-1 and now between the EM-1 and the EM-10. We may see an EM-5 II in another year or so but probably not as long as the EM-5 and EM-1 are selling well since the only way to make an EM-5 II that is an upgrade is to put the sensor, shutter speed and EVF from the EM-1 into it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:02 PM   #8

The weather seals would not be a must for me either. I generally do not go out and take pictures if rain is in the forecast. Color is much nicer on a sunny day.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
The weather seals would not be a must for me either. I generally do not go out and take pictures if rain is in the forecast. Color is much nicer on a sunny day.

It might be one of those where that you wouldn't realize how much you liked it until you had it. I can imagine for going out boating, etc., it might be handy to have . . .
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:44 AM   #10

I'm sure you are spot on there Sammy. My E-3 and 14-54 non SWD has weather seals and I have never tested them out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
It might be one of those where that you wouldn't realize how much you liked it until you had it. I can imagine for going out boating, etc., it might be handy to have . . .