Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I see the histogram on my E-M1 doing the same thing, but only when I'm moving the dial that changes the aperture instead of exposure compensation.
For me it stays put whether moving EC or aperture. If yours works there is likely some setting I missed.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:09 AM   #32

I've said "*" myself in the past.

I wondered up and down to the various menu options to see if there was some way to adjust how the histogram behaves and the only thing I saw was the option in the "D" cogs menu called Histogram Settings where you can adjust the ceiling and floor to when the camera says clipping starts.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Greg said, "I wondered up and down to the various menu options to see if there was some way to adjust how the histogram behaves and the only thing I saw was the option in the "D" cogs menu called Histogram Settings where you can adjust the ceiling and floor to when the camera says clipping starts"
Me TOO! ........I've looked too and find only the 'range setting'. My M1 works the histogram display for PASM as expected and ART for EV comp, only iAUTO and SCN modes are modes where histogram, though displayable, doesn't move.

Since Greg gave me face-to-face histogram usage tutoring I now set for fixed ISO and rely on the histogram for exposure adjust for most all my 'clicks' with the M1.

I also tested this on my E-P3; histogram on the P3 blanks out during settings but does move the same as the M1 for PASM, just not an immediate display. I am assuming the histogram display for all PEN cameras works the same, perhaps not for the newer PENS.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:49 AM   #34

So laying in bed last night, around midnight, tablet glowing in my left hand (I have the EM1 manual loaded on the tablet) and camera in the right hand (not a pretty picture, I know) I stumbled upon a solution. Live View Boost has to be off. You'll find it under the Cogs (Gears?) menu selection "D". Live View Boost keeps the EVF bright no matter your exposure settings. Once Live View Boost was off, the EVF AND Histogram both reflected the exposure settings.

Having said that, I'm curious to know if you guys have Live View Boost turned off. There's often more than one way to skin a cat with the myriad of settings available with this camera.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:14 PM   #35

Ah! I've never used live view boost.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, I agree. I normally use the spot metering exclusively when shooting birds.
Ever try bracketing the exposure? Seems like that might be a useful tool and not any fiddling. I never looked into that very seriously but I'm pretty sure you can bracket - or + on the exposure.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:33 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm curious to know if you guys have Live View Boost turned off
YES! it is turned OFF for me.

Great find, Greg just now called and we are headed out for a 'bird' session.

TTYL..........

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Ever try bracketing the exposure? Seems like that might be a useful tool and not any fiddling. I never looked into that very seriously but I'm pretty sure you can bracket - or + on the exposure.
Yes, I agree. I often use automatic bracketing in tricky conditions. I find it is very easy to do 3 shot bracketing with my E-3. And you can choose the level of bracketing for each series easily in the menu.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:26 PM   #39

While I was in Arlington Camera today, the Olympus guy in the store said April was the target date for the 40-150mm f2.8

Until then, with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 today...

"Don't drop that on me....

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:59 AM   #40

Wonderful shot Greg!