Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:00 AM   #11

I think I'm in the wrong boat here. Why did I get into such an expensive hobby. I guess I will die with the E-3 by my side.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Anyone want to buy a Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 cheap? :-)
I think I'd hold on to that lens....

The Panny 12-35 and 35-100mm f2.8 lenses are pretty darn good. I think the 12-35 might be a tad sharper in the center part of the image than the 12-40 Zuiko.

Do you have some images captured with the 7-14 we can see?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:40 AM   #13

Here are a few from the 7mm end. I actually enjoy the lens. I'm in no hurry to dump it but depending on the cost and reviews of the Oly all options are open.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:00 AM   #14

Those are some great shots. That lens is definitely nice.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:05 PM   #15

Thanks for posting a few nice samples. How much, if ever, do you see the mentioned fringing I see discussed about using this lens with the E-M5 or E-M1? The 7-14 Zuiko would flare like crazy with the sun in the image, especially when it was along the edge of the frame so I would expect that.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are some great shots. That lens is definitely nice.

Thanks James. I'm enjoying it. Having said that I'll be watching when the Zuiko is launched. All other things being equal, I'd go for the faster one.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Thanks for posting a few nice samples. How much, if ever, do you see the mentioned fringing I see discussed about using this lens with the E-M5 or E-M1? The 7-14 Zuiko would flare like crazy with the sun in the image, especially when it was along the edge of the frame so I would expect that.
To be honest I haven't used the lens much with the M1. I'm down visiting family in Borrego Springs, CA right now. I'll get out in the desert and take some test shots. Probably won't upload till I get back next week and have a chance to look at them on a real computer. I've got my uncalibrated laptop here with a typical laptop screen so don't really trust what I'm seeing. I'll let you know.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:32 PM   #18

chiPersei - I do really like your work with the 7-14mm especially the first and last ones
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
To be honest I haven't used the lens much with the M1. I'm down visiting family in Borrego Springs, CA right now. I'll get out in the desert and take some test shots. Probably won't upload till I get back next week and have a chance to look at them on a real computer. I've got my uncalibrated laptop here with a typical laptop screen so don't really trust what I'm seeing. I'll let you know.
I was actually working on getting a hold of a copy and trying it out, which happened today. The E-M1 appears to process a good bit of it out, but I saw some fringing in extreme corners that processed out pretty darn easy in ACR.

I owned the 7-14mm f4 Zuiko for about 18 months. It was a beast of a lens to carry for the number of times using the 7mm end really made sense, but this Lumix lens is a feather-weight. I'm figuring the f2.8 M. Zuiko's going to be substantially heavier.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 26, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:33 AM   #20

I don't see the fringing as an issue. I will say it plays heck with lens flare when shooing into the sun (see image 2). I suppose that's to be expected with such bulbous glass.

Here are a few taken with the 7-14 at various focal lengths as my brother-in-law and I hiked 1.5 miles up a desert ravine to locate a real-life oasis. I thought they only existed in the movies.
Attached Images