Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:37 PM   #11

Our local photography shop, Colonial Photo and Hobby, carries Olympus, and there are a couple of strong proponents of it there. Because I like to support the small brick and mortar stores that have real expertise in photography, I bought my E-M1 and 12-40 lens there yesterday!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
that will disappear in 2014 (according to 27/7 Wallstreet - http://247wallst.com/special-report/...ear-in-2014/):

...The Olympus digital camera also will disappear from store shelves by the end of 2014. Camera sales, especially point-and-shoot models, have been eroded by smartphones, which have increasingly high-quality cameras...says the article.

I can't decide whether these people are way off or right on target. Olympus just announced new camera models and lenses. It seems to me that the O-EM models are selling very well and so are many of their prime lenses. However, when it comes to their line of P&S, they fall way behind in terms of sales.

So, what do you guys think?

I wonder who will still be with us in Jan of 2015; Olympus or 24/7 Wall ST.
My money is on Olympus.

Remember, that a few short years ago, all the industry experts were predicting the demise of Olympus' camera division. Instead, Olympus somehow managed to stay true to their dream of designing a microfourthirds camera that really does do what they said it would. And, sales have improved in that part of their business.

Fact is that compact cameras are in serious danger of extinction. Being replaced by smart phones. But, that's true for all makers of cameras be it Olympus, Canon or Nikon. No ones immune.

The long term danger I see for camera manufacturers is that as the younger generation adopts smartphones, as previously mentioned, fewer of them are buying any camera-dslr or compact.

I belong to a camera club, here on the Cape. We've 110 members. There isn't one person younger than 40 in the club.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:55 AM   #13

I think the point and shoots won't be leaving us too soon. At least not until the smart phones drop in price. Much of the younger generation cannot afford smart phones let alone the monthly usage fee. The free phones that come with a cell phone service aren't that great for photos.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:00 AM   #14

Default Camera club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I wonder who will still be with us in Jan of 2015; Olympus or 24/7 Wall ST.
My money is on Olympus.

Remember, that a few short years ago, all the industry experts were predicting the demise of Olympus' camera division. Instead, Olympus somehow managed to stay true to their dream of designing a microfourthirds camera that really does do what they said it would. And, sales have improved in that part of their business.

Fact is that compact cameras are in serious danger of extinction. Being replaced by smart phones. But, that's true for all makers of cameras be it Olympus, Canon or Nikon. No ones immune.

The long term danger I see for camera manufacturers is that as the younger generation adopts smartphones, as previously mentioned, fewer of them are buying any camera-dslr or compact.

I belong to a camera club, here on the Cape. We've 110 members. There isn't one person younger than 40 in the club.
Interesting enough, the camera club I belong got members from about 15 to at least 80

We are about 180 members (which always surprize the external speakers since our meetings attendance is around 80 to 90). It is good the see younger people

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote