Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:39 PM   #1

Default Top 10 brand....

that will disappear in 2014 (according to 27/7 Wallstreet - http://247wallst.com/special-report/...ear-in-2014/):

...The Olympus digital camera also will disappear from store shelves by the end of 2014. Camera sales, especially point-and-shoot models, have been eroded by smartphones, which have increasingly high-quality cameras...says the article.

I can't decide whether these people are way off or right on target. Olympus just announced new camera models and lenses. It seems to me that the O-EM models are selling very well and so are many of their prime lenses. However, when it comes to their line of P&S, they fall way behind in terms of sales.

So, what do you guys think?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:18 PM   #2

I have actually bookmarked posts over on DPReview and plan to ask a couple of people posting links with similar predictions, if they will be finding more predictions for us after January 1, 2015.

I would imagine a lot of it is, just putting something out there to get more people to click on their links. It's the National Enquirer method....the more crazy it is, the more someone's liable to click and read it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:56 PM   #3

What would be interesting is to see how many out of the top 10 brands listed in the article, actually disappeared come Jan/1/2015. I doubt Olympus will be one of them...I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:19 PM   #4

I remember one person pointing out one of the sites was zero for 10 with their 2013 list.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5

I think its all BS. I have an Apple phone and it sure is a long way from the E-3 in image quality. I'm thinking they might be talking about simple point and shoots.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:42 AM   #6

James - I can't read the article because the page is not found. But, in general there are multiple articles that discuss point and shoot camera sales being hurt by smartphones. The health of ILC market took a hit last year as well. But, I don't know about where you live but around me there are a TON more people using their smartphones to take photos than I see using any type of dedicated camera. I rarely see a point and shoot anymore. It's either DSLR or camera phone. Given the primary consumption of images is social media for non-hobbyists it is not surprising.
Hard to comment about companies going under. But, I'm totally on board with the notion that smartphones are heavily damaging digicam sales.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
James - I can't read the article because the page is not found. But, in general there are multiple articles that discuss point and shoot camera sales being hurt by smartphones. The health of ILC market took a hit last year as well. But, I don't know about where you live but around me there are a TON more people using their smartphones to take photos than I see using any type of dedicated camera. I rarely see a point and shoot anymore. It's either DSLR or camera phone. Given the primary consumption of images is social media for non-hobbyists it is not surprising.
Hard to comment about companies going under. But, I'm totally on board with the notion that smartphones are heavily damaging digicam sales.
Thank you for your comments John. I doubt anyone on this particular Olympus forum is going to use a smart phone for their photos. I agree that it will hurt sales of point and shoots but not DSLR's or mirror less cameras like the M1, M5, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post

...The Olympus digital camera also will disappear from store shelves by the end of 2014. Camera sales, especially point-and-shoot models, have been eroded by smartphones, which have increasingly high-quality cameras...
I think they may be right in one way, I don't see many camera makers concentrating on selling in big box stores, especially low end point and shoots. Olympus as a maker of Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, etc. cameras may decline to participate in that market, it is a dead market. People like all of us buy cameras mostly online or at camera stores.

They are however wrong that Olympus will go away as a company. That's just nonsense
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:27 PM   #9

There is not a store around here that carries a M1 so you can try it on. It's all special order from the big box stores. They tend to favor Canikon products and Sony.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:11 PM   #10

Olympus dealers are few and far between. We're lucky here to have Arlington Camera. I can go in there and pretty much try and Olympus or Panasonic camera or lens. March 8 they're having an Olympus day event with reps there and going to a local park to do some picture taking.