Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I agree with Sammy, the 12/2.0 is very tempting, just wondering how big the 85/1.4 is??
big and over a pound heavy

Filter Thread 72 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.07 x 3.94" (7.8 x 10 cm)
Weight 19.93 oz (565 g)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._lens_for.html

at $299 it would seem hard to argue with but... a quick search of ebay shows you can grab the same lens for Nikon for roughly half plus $10 for an adapter...

That's the thing with some of the samyang lenses; yes it's nice to have the option but when you can grab the same lens for another mount much more cheaply (and probably have an easier time reselling it) what's the point in buying one for MFT?

Now the 12mm f2.0 on the other hand is more exciting as it is fast and not offered for other mounts.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree with Sammy, the 12/2.0 is very tempting, just wondering how big the 85/1.4 is??
P.S. - if you want a very nice fast small 85mm manual focus lens that will look right at home on your camera, check out the Jupiter 9. It is an 85mm f2.0 range finder lens made in Russia based on pre-war Zeiss designs. A good copy can be had for $175 and since it is a m39 (Leica screw mount) the adapter isn't very thick allowing it not to stick out to far. You want to look for one with a "red p" which looks more like a n, these are the better ones.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
P.S. - if you want a very nice fast small 85mm manual focus lens that will look right at home on your camera, check out the Jupiter 9. It is an 85mm f2.0 range finder lens made in Russia based on pre-war Zeiss designs. A good copy can be had for $175 and since it is a m39 (Leica screw mount) the adapter isn't very thick allowing it not to stick out to far. You want to look for one with a "red p" which looks more like a n, these are the better ones.
I've been on a kick of looking at old 90-105ish primes for some reason. I don't even know what I'd do with one . . .
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
big and over a pound heavy

Filter Thread 72 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.07 x 3.94" (7.8 x 10 cm)
Weight 19.93 oz (565 g)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._lens_for.html

at $299 it would seem hard to argue with but... a quick search of ebay shows you can grab the same lens for Nikon for roughly half plus $10 for an adapter...

That's the thing with some of the samyang lenses; yes it's nice to have the option but when you can grab the same lens for another mount much more cheaply (and probably have an easier time reselling it) what's the point in buying one for MFT?

Now the 12mm f2.0 on the other hand is more exciting as it is fast and not offered for other mounts.
I am going to find an adapter for my Nikon lenses, I have the 85mm1.4, 35mm 1.4 any advice about where to get a good adapter?
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:13 AM   #15

Quote:
I am going to find an adapter for my Nikon lenses, I have the 85mm1.4, 35mm 1.4 any advice about where to get a good adapter?
I've had no complaints with rainbow imaging, I own a few of their adapters and they have all worked just fine. I am sure you can spend more but in the end it is just a piece of metal with the correct flange distance and mounts.

http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/p...id_product=633
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:51 AM   #16

Thank you Ramcewan for the link, looks good and the price is nice but the site has a problem, when I put it on the cart the site just freeze.

I'll try later thank you so much.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
I agree with Sammy, the 12/2.0 is very tempting

OH yes.
My concern is the MF.
My eye is not very good so I rely on AF

time to do some MF testing with my 12-50
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Marcelo: I have purchased numerous adapters in the past because I had a collection of manual lens that I used on my 35mm cameras. I had several of the Chinese adapters that gave me problems, then I switched to Fotodiox lens mount adapters and their quality was much better. All were heavy metal and finely machined, and are shipped from right here in the states. Do both an e-bay and an Amazon search for "Fotodiox lens mount adapters" and you should find a quality adapter for those lens.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Marcelo: I have purchased numerous adapters in the past because I had a collection of manual lens that I used on my 35mm cameras. I had several of the Chinese adapters that gave me problems, then I switched to Fotodiox lens mount adapters and their quality was much better. All were heavy metal and finely machined, and are shipped from right here in the states. Do both an e-bay and an Amazon search for "Fotodiox lens mount adapters" and you should find a quality adapter for those lens.
Just wanted to point out that rainbowimaging sells their adapters under the brand Fotasy and they are shipped from right in NYC. Like Fotodiox you can find them on Amazon on the Fotasy name and you can read reviews on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AMNK-Th...sy+nikon+micro

Don't get me wrong the Fotodiox adapters have a great reputation and I would say you can't go wrong with them; I just wanted to be clear that rainbowimaging was not the cheap ebay route, even though they are less expensive than Fotodiox they do ship from NYC and I have had great customer service from them.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:08 AM   #20

When I was looking around for an adapter for my nikkor lenses, I first looked at the Voightlander at $250CDN.
http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigt...voigt_eng.html
The distributor could not explain the cost difference against the Fotodiox/Rainbow adapters.

So I went with the Fotodiox Nikon F to M4/3 for about $35CDN. Good firm mount, no focus issues, doubles the focal length of your nikkors and is of course fully manual.
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/nikon-f-l...t-adapter.html

Now I notice that there is a new generation of adapters that have some glass and aperture rings that keep the angle of view unchanged and increases the maximum aperture by one stop.
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-moun...t-adapter.html

Aaah, choices choices...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote