Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Grand Central Terminal

This is not the first time I am posting pictures of this beautiful building in this forum but this time is different because I managed to have a tripod permit to shoot in the lobby area but also I had access to a special place of the building and capture in a different and unusual POV the beauty of GCT.

I used a ND filter to extend the exposure and protect the highlights from the windows and light bulbs with the OMD-E5 + 9-18mm + 40-150mm.

I hope you enjoy the tour.

1. This is the regular POV of the lobby.

3. A different POV of the same place.

Have a great day.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:55 AM   #2

What a gorgeous building, and what a coup, gaining access where you did, and with a tripod no less.

A week or two ago I recorded the two hour PBS episode from the American Exeprience series titled "The Rise and Fall of Penn Station". Haven't had time yet to watch it, but I'm looking forward to it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:47 AM   #3

Very nice serie !!! I would love to be there with my fisheye

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:48 AM   #4

A great job Marcello and compared to pics I have seen in the 30s/40s, the place looks deserted. I'm sort of a train buff and read stories about the Broadway Limited, etc, etc. Very nostalgic and sad in a way. That was a period were there was a slower pace and travel by train was a luxury some people could not afford. Now you are crammed into a seat on a plane where you might spend more time on the tarmac then you do in the air. :-)
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:52 AM   #5

Jeeze, Marcelo. Another wonderful series. I see another photog with a tripod (image 10). Is getting a permit difficult?

On the shots without people did you use long exposure to remove them or did you just capture the space when no one was there?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
What a gorgeous building, and what a coup, gaining access where you did, and with a tripod no less.

A week or two ago I recorded the two hour PBS episode from the American Exeprience series titled "The Rise and Fall of Penn Station". Haven't had time yet to watch it, but I'm looking forward to it.
GCT is one of the most beautiful buildings in NY and the exterior is just majestic in combination with the Chrysler Building and MetLife Building (years ago called PanAm building).

Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Very nice serie !!! I would love to be there with my fisheye

Thank you folob,
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
A great job Marcello and compared to pics I have seen in the 30s/40s, the place looks deserted. I'm sort of a train buff and read stories about the Broadway Limited, etc, etc. Very nostalgic and sad in a way. That was a period were there was a slower pace and travel by train was a luxury some people could not afford. Now you are crammed into a seat on a plane where you might spend more time on the tarmac then you do in the air. :-)
Thank you James, the terminal was full of people but the long exposure hide those who are walking or running, only the people who is standing were captured by the sensor camera.

The GCT hide so many history and secrets, you will find some of those here:

http://untappedcities.com/2013/03/13...tral-terminal/
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Jeeze, Marcelo. Another wonderful series. I see another photog with a tripod (image 10). Is getting a permit difficult?

On the shots without people did you use long exposure to remove them or did you just capture the space when no one was there?
Thank you for the feedback Chipersei,

I understand the administration of the building only give 10 permits every day, some time you have to wait some days to obtain one.

http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/faq.cfm

The long exposure did all the work for me, the ND filter let the camera just record people that is standing and the ones walking or running are not visible.

This is how the terminal looks with out the long exposure:

Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:17 PM   #10

[QUOTE=MarceloLI;1369341]GCT is one of the most beautiful buildings in NY and the exterior is just majestic in combination with the Chrysler Building and MetLife Building (years ago called PanAm building).

It's a good thing Robert Moses is dead. Otherwise, he may have torn 'em all down by now to make way for a highway or parking lot.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote