Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:28 PM   #1

Default Huelight Profiles

This is mainly a question for Greg. I just bought the Huelight profile for 10 dollars and have installed it, along with the Adobe updating presets for Olympus. When I apply the camera calibration it does change the photo a bit, but I can't see where this is happening.

Shouldn't this appear on the sliders for WB, noise, contrast, etc? Or are other settings being changed. Is there anywhere on the adobe camera raw where I can see the presets changing?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:30 PM   #2

I just want to make sure I am applying the profile correctly and that something is happening.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:22 PM   #3

When you apply a profile, no sliders are affected. What you are thinking about is, if you set up a pre-set like this..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52628853

To create a preset you simply adjust all the sliders you want in order to apply the same setting to any group of similar files where you would use that specific preset series of slider settings, then click on Save Settings, name it something that you'll remember what it is, like "E-M5 ISO 200 Normal" and so on. It's saved in the Presets tab of ACR of Photoshop CC, which is the tab to the right of the profiles tab.

I have never created a profile, but anyone who wants to can do so..

http://shoottokyo.com/creating-custom-camera-profiles/

The Huelight profiles make color changes and affect contrast before you mess with any sliders. Depending on the profile you use, it will affect the image up front more or less. I have two sets of the Huelight profiles. The set for the E-M5 includes three, High, Low and Standard. The E-M1 profiles includes four, High, Medium, Low and Standard. ACR detects the camera from the EXIF data so if I open an E-M1 file the profiles box only shows me the four Huelight profiles for the E-M1 along with the Adobe-created E-M1 profiles.

I often times use the Low setting to gain the advantage of the color shift the profile provides with the least amount of added contrast, which I then add to my own taste, either with the contrast tab, clarity tab or using the four sliders in the tone curve box. They all affect contrast differently, some more than others.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:27 AM   #4

Yeah, I have the three E-PL2 ones and the Olympus ones that finally came with the latest LR patch, and from one of those I can usually find a pretty good jumping off point.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Great, thanks for the info. I'll check out Dpreview and see if there are any good EM-5 presets for the sliders. I know pretty much what I usually do, so I can set some myself, but it would be interesting to see what others have used.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:40 AM   #6

Search the user Archgeolab on the Micro forum at DPReview. He's the guy who created the E-M1 presets link I provided above. Prior to that (during 2-13 I believe, but maybe 2012) he posted a similar set pf presets for the E-M5. He usually titles the posts "Universal Preset for the E-M5" or something similar, so you could search by user or by that title.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 6, 2014 at 1:54 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:41 PM   #7

Yeah, I seemed to have found one. It was interesting to see because a lot of the same "look" he was getting was by doing some opposite things. I had a tendency to raise exposure, whereas this setting started out lowering. Of course this will depend on the type of shot, what conditions it was shot in, but my default tweaks were very different. I'll fool around with the universal settings and see what I can do to compare to some of my already processed photos.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:32 PM   #8

I took an old image I had from this fall and ran it through the Huelight profile with a universal setting for sliders in Dpreview. Here is the result (first image) compared with a couple of other ones I posted here in November. Unfortunately, I don't have a processed jpeg of the same exact image for comparison.