Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1

Default ....my old 50-200 and the M1

I've had my Zuiko 50-200 for 8 years, made thousands of files with it and have it back in the bag for the M1.

Today I did a quick trip looking for signs of wildflower sprouts and shot these.

...dove at 200mm + digi-X2

.....I've photographed this old downed tree many times and every time I see it, I see something different, today it was the 'log-hound'

[/ur

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:33 PM   #2

I think that's a sharper dove image than I've ever captured, for sure. Digital TC is a winner. Have you compared the quality of Digital TC to using the lens with the EC20? Of course, with that you could get out to 800mm with the digital TC.....serious range.

And I do see the log hound now that you mention it. Otherwise I'd have never seen it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Have you compared the quality of Digital TC to using the lens with the EC20? Of course, with that you could get out to 800mm with the digital TC.....serious range.
I've not compared the EC20 with X2 but X2 'delivers' without a doubt and I can easily handhold the 50-200 @ 200 and with X2 rebuilding the file off the center cut @ 800 & f/3.5 I am happy.

I am in lens-heaven with that. AND! with the 70-300 which won't begin to work with the EC20, well it does fantastic with X2 turned on..... a bunch o'reach

......50-200 @ 50mm no X2 ....see the ducks behind the trees, for the next I moved from behind the trees, maybe 250 feet across the water.

.......with X2 ON @ 200mm

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:35 AM   #4

That is sure a great lens and one of these days..............................
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:58 PM   #5

Your shots (and others I have seen) inspired me to find a Zuiko 50-200 non-SWD online. I expect to receive it by Monday. Anything I should know about the lens and testing out its performance when I get it?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:21 PM   #6

The lens has environmental seals so the first thing to check is the zoom action, which should be smooth. If it's overly stiff there could be an issue with the seal that protects the area where the lens slides in and out as you zoom. The newest original non-SWD 50-200 Zuikos are now 7 years old and eventually seals have to be serviced/replaced to keep it sealed properly. When I bought my second hand 50-200 I did from KEH because I know they make sure everything they sell works as it should and include a warranty.

The second thing to do is, simply start taking a lot of pictures at the various focal lengths and make sure everything is sharp across the frame. If sharpness is uneven with a blurry side of the frame there could be elements out of alignment.

The lenses are rock-solid. When zoomed out there should be very little play but I imagine some tiny amount is needed just so the barrels slide smoothly against one another. Mine exhibits just the smallest amount of play when zoomed out, and I recall the new one I bought originally back in 2005 did about the same thing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
......50-200 @ 200mm no X2 ....see the ducks behind the trees, for the next I moved from behind the trees, maybe 250 feet across the water.
That is impressive. Thanks.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The lens has environmental seals so the first thing to check is the zoom action, which should be smooth. If it's overly stiff there could be an issue with the seal that protects the area where the lens slides in and out as you zoom. The newest original non-SWD 50-200 Zuikos are now 7 years old and eventually seals have to be serviced/replaced to keep it sealed properly. When I bought my second hand 50-200 I did from KEH because I know they make sure everything they sell works as it should and include a warranty.

The second thing to do is, simply start taking a lot of pictures at the various focal lengths and make sure everything is sharp across the frame. If sharpness is uneven with a blurry side of the frame there could be elements out of alignment.

The lenses are rock-solid. When zoomed out there should be very little play but I imagine some tiny amount is needed just so the barrels slide smoothly against one another. Mine exhibits just the smallest amount of play when zoomed out, and I recall the new one I bought originally back in 2005 did about the same thing.
Thanks, Greg, these are checks that I will make when the lens arrive. I am quite impressed with what I have seen of the lens from Bob and others.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Your shots (and others I have seen) inspired me to find a Zuiko 50-200 non-SWD online.
MacBOOK.............it is a really good lens, you will enjoy it once you get comfortable handling the weight. Greg has given you good points to look for.

Quote:
That is impressive. Thanks.
chiPersei............. my original caption for the first pond image was incorrect -- not at 200mm but shot at 50mm & NO X2.

I never tire of how well the 50-200 performs on any of my cameras. Originallly I bought it (2006 for my E-300).

I've used it (and taken very good care of it) all these years for literally 1xxxs of images from high school baseball to dragonflies & butterflies and tree leaves to flowers.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM.