Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Solar Halo Over the Capital

Usually the word halo and anything having to do with politicians wouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. In this instance though, the halo is of the natural variety rather than anything to do with personal values and behavior.

Caused by light deflection off hexagonal ice crystals these halos have a 22 degree radius. Smaller circles around the sun can be seen but those are formed by water droplets.

More info- http://goo.gl/6m7K84
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2

Great shots. It looks like something is going to engulf the building!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Great shots. It looks like something is going to engulf the building!

Thanks MB. And thanks for the opportunity to add something I forgot.

1st photo is 3 image HDR taken at 21mm using Zuiko 12-40.

Second is a single capture using Panasonic G 7-14 at 7mm. PPd in LR including some vertical lens correction to round out the halo a little without distorting the trees or capital building too much. There's always a tradeoff.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:18 PM   #4

All that stuff is 'stuff' to me but I can say I really like the effect and the photos; especially the 2nd.

QUESTION: Caused by light deflection off hexagonal ice crystals these halos have a 22 degree radius.

How is this determined and by whom is it? Just curious since it is the sun & no one has been there.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
QUESTION: Caused by light deflection off hexagonal ice crystals these halos have a 22 degree radius.

How is this determined and by whom is it? Just curious since it is the sun & no one has been there.
The ice crystals that cause the halo are much closer to home in the Earth's atmosphere. Halos are not all that uncommon and well understood. Most of them are simple circles like the one I captured but if conditions are right they can get pretty complex and include sundogs, circumzenithal arcs, suncave perry arcs and more. To see a photo including additional features follow this link http://goo.gl/IjpNoH. On the same page of the photo is a computer simulation of a halo with most of the features labeled.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:23 PM   #6

G'day mate

Solar Halo Over the Capital
Usually the word halo and anything having to do with politicians wouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. In this instance though, the halo is of the natural variety rather than anything to do with personal values and behavior.

And here I was thinking that the Aussie pollies were the 'worst that money could buy' ... but then I remember, you've got the tea party !
Years ago in Australia we had a bunch of idiots put themselves up as the Sunripe Tomato Party - needless to say they got splattered by voters who at least had more than half-a-brain

As to your images - I like 'em for their technical side & your explanations. Overy the years I have seen 'odd' things in the clouds, the origins of which that I have not been aware of - so your explanation helps as well

Thanks -
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:26 PM   #7

I suspect I've been interested in atmospheric optics ever since I saw my 1st rainbow. Here's a photo I took in Borrego Springs a couple weeks ago of a more rare atmospheric phenomenon, anticrepuscular rays. Granted, you'll see better anticrepuscular ray photos on the internet but I recognized them soon as I saw them so had to grab a picture.

Crepuscular rays are just sun beams. Many people don't think about that after traveling millions of miles the rays from the sun are essentially parallel as they pass earth. The reason they look like they fan out from the sun is just perspective. Like standing on railroad tracks the rails seem to converge on the horizon. If you turn around, the rails again converge on the opposite horizon. The photo doesn't show it well but these are sun beams that went over my head and are converging on the horizon opposite the sun.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:43 PM   #8

cool shots and explanations, thinking back I believe I captured some crepuscular rays right after sunset in Aruba last trip;

Saventa Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:38 PM   #9

ChiPersie, you did a great job capturing with your camera the atmospheric phenomenon.

The second shots is my favorite.

Ramcewan, lovely shot you captured..!

Thank you for posting.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:51 PM   #10

Beautiful stuff, everyone. That wide-ranging image captured with the 7-14 is just cool. All the elements came together, and you captured them really well. I've not seen too many sun dogs in person and I do not recall seeing a solar halo ever.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote