Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....gotta disgree with'ya about that Steven
Well Bob, I certainly can't argue with the success that you have, and the beautiful shots that you have taken with the 70-300mm. And I agree for close-ups, it is an outstanding lens, especially considering the price. I like the 70-300 and would not consider selling.

But when I first got my 50-200, I ran some shooting tests using both lens mounted on two camera bodies and did simultaneous shots at my local wetlands on a flock of Black-Bellied Whistler ducks. I got lots of shots at full magnification with each lens. I found that, before any other post possessing, even when I cropped off a third of the shot and resized, I still had noticeable better detail and contrast on all the 200 shots compared to the OOC 300mm.

It was true no matter which body was used. Both the E-520 and the E-3 were using similar sized 10m sensors. But I can only state my results, maybe your techniques are better than mine, as I remember what great shots you have with the 70-300mm. All I can say, is from my experience, if I had to choose between the two, it would definitely be the 50-200mm.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:23 AM   #12

I think in the right hands, the 70-300 can produce some very nice shots. I recall when Greg posted some photos taken at a Houston Astro game and from what I can recall the photos were beautiful, colorful and sharp. So I guess you could put a $2,000 lens in inexperienced hands (like mine) and not get the results you thought you would get. When I had my Canon 50-250 inexpensive lens used on the 40D I got some pretty decent results considering the cost of the lens but I think the 70-300 Oly is a tad better. My image with the 50-250 Canon below.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:44 AM   #13

Default 50-200 on first excursion

I have a number of photographs to go through more carefully, but here are three from the evening. There was tricky lighting, but I am pleased with the lens.

Here is one using at 158mm with the 2x digital zoom.

My wife liked this one because of the similarity between the body shape and leaves. This one was shot at 137mm without the digital zoom.

This one is at 137mm with the 2x digital zoom.

MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:32 AM   #14

Great shots and a great lens. Is definitely a bargain for what the used copies are selling for now.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:25 AM   #15

These two were interesting.

MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote