Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1

Default ....just a casual Stearman biplane

This hobby is beginning to turn into work and I don't do work very well anymore so somethings gotta give.

Mar 21-23 I did the local arts festival for the 3rd year and finished with 60-hrs total WORK!

I did the photography again for the local EAA chapter 34 Young Eagles Rally Saturday Mar 29, again quite a bit o'WORK!
---------------------
But it is so fun I can't refuse when asked..... it is very rewarding as a hobbyist that I am asked.

Saturday's WORK was with the E-P3/FT 9-18, and some with the E-M1/FT50-200.

The 1930-something Stearman flew in yesterday for a ....burger so I made a few images. It was not a participant in the EAA YER but a fun plane to see.

We did have a WACO that flew youngsters all day, a very nice plane

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2

Love the angles Bob.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Love the angles Bob.
Thanks Alan, the 9-18 (mine is an ex-Greg FT) is just amazing on the E-P3 & VF-2

Sometimes I get a bit carried away with the 'angle' composition but it is a style I've worked on for several years and I have a lot of fun with it. When planes and cars are parked so near, one to another, then angles kick in and aid in the isolation.

I tend to use 'angles' for most of my composition thoughts, bugs included.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Great shots Bob especially being that I like planes, especially the old models. You guys are lucky, so many interesting things to photograph there and around here we have crap. Probably one of the reasons I don't post many pics because there is nothing interesting to post unless you want to see buildings and people. :-)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:37 PM   #5

Really nice photos with interesting angles and colors.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:20 PM   #6

Sorry to hear you having to labour so many hours. But with what appears in front of your lens, does not seem to be too much of a hardship. Getting time on the apron with the planes is just as fun as your parking lot shots. Great colours, nicely done.

The Stearman sure does not look "stock" -- more gauges than normal from that era and the prop is a new model.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Excellent photos Bob. Well done.

Do you know the model of that silver and blue plane in the first shot? It looks like a beautifully maintained machine. I recognize the blue and yellow Stearman PT17 Kaydet in the other shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:26 PM   #8

For a retired guy, you are sure are busy....no doubt, there is some Bonnie project coming

Beautiful colors on that plane, and your angles are always great.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:28 AM   #9
TG

Nice shots Bob, not a huge fan of angles, 4 doesn't work for but 3 does.
Was there and post processing in 3 & 4 as the colours are very vibrant?

Will have to post some plane shots as I went to a couple air shows in the last month.

Last edited by TG; Apr 2, 2014 at 1:30 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:59 AM   #10

Thanks for looking y'all, I still have great fun doing the show for EAA 34 and the B-17 Aluminum Overcast will return to Arlington, April 29 for a 1-day stop. There really isn't much I've not photographed (E-300 & E-3 cameras 6-years ago) of it but probably I will go see it again using the 2 new cameras.

As for these photos, Steven the plane is a WACO, used primarily as an initial instruction trainer before Stearman advanced training. I didn't ask the fellow the year of the plane but he did say he bought it as a restored model. This is an interesting article about the WACO => http://tinyurl.com/m6wubxn .

The WACO & Stearman pictured could in a car sense be considered 'resto-mods' I reckon. Both are restored original 1930s planes but with some modern adds such as the WACO does have a modern look-alike engine.

Tom, for the E-M1 I shoot only JPG due to ASPro software not being updated yet (maybe never will) for E-M1 RAW data. I do process all my images through ASPpro, for these there is slight exposure and sharpening adjustments, that is about all for color. The JPG files from the M1 satisfy me and if I could adjust final WB I would not want to bother with RAW from the M1. I've tried LR5 but won't use the enforced cataloging so I decided continue on with ASPro for now.

The WACO and full profile Stearman were done with the E-M1/ZD50-200 (JPG files) , all the rest were E-P3/ZD FT9-18 (RAW).

Yep, I am too busy to be retired Greg......... as always thanks for your comments. BTW, did you see my butterfly shoot with the P3/40-150 & 10mm ext tube, it was a great combination I will use again.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM.