Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Really interesting E-M1 Firmware update...

Now, that's cool.

With this new update, you can set the E-M1 up where, if the shutter speed drops to 1/320 second or below, the first shutter curtain will remain open and the camera will use an electronic shutter to initiate the exposure, which in effect eliminates the first shutter curtain from have to first close, then re-open to initial the exposure.

Eliminating those two actions should make for a very smooth exposure and much reduced, if not eliminated, problems with vibrations that can cause blurriness at slower shutter speeds.

Sounds like something that just needs to be "on" by default.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:41 PM   #2

....could've used that more than once the past two weekends with all the shadows or super bright sun I dealt with; and sometimes not too well. Shutter speed was up and down the scale.

I've not updated at all yet..... maybe will do it this week.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:43 PM   #3

I use the anti-shock setting with a 1/2 second delay quite a bit when shooting the floral closeups I like doing, whether it's with the 50-200 + Ex25 or a micro setup like the 60mm macro or the 75-300 + one or both of the Kenko extension tubes. I would anticipate this possibly eliminating the need to use delayed anti-shock setting, which would be very nice. Timing shooting closeups can be a mess if one is dealing with wind. Saving that 1/2 second can sometimes make all the difference from having a wind-blown subject from a sudden gust or not. I'll certainly be checking it out after updating the camera tonight.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:35 PM   #4

Whew! That was an extra-long update. Make sure your machine is not about to re-start itself and don't initiate it if you have a battery on it's last legs of a charge.