Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:03 PM   #1

Default ......E-M1 firmware upgrade

.........from another thread Alan said, "I made the firmware update. You're right (Greg) about it taking longer then last time. I started getting nervous."

I attempted today to upgrade my M1 .....NADA!

It would not happen and talk about nervous time; nothing broken but the process I got is:

-) confirmation of connected camera with 'storage' selected 'OK'
-) show firmware ver avail for update -- E-M1 v1.3
-) I did have the 14-54 attached (it showed the 1.1 ver firmware from years old update)
-) started what looked like the download
-) ....message on compuater for 'hands off & no turnoff' but never displayed on camera LCD
-) everything stalled and visual activity on DSL modem stopped
-) after waiting about 15-minutes .... shut down the update
-) checked camera action, all ok and TEST photo made
-) checked camera firmware ..... still set at ver 1.0

I tried 3-times with same result. I've never had an issue with upgrading any of my cameras or lenses, been doing it since late 2005 BUT not today.

Any ideas........... Alan, Greg or anyone?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:26 PM   #2

Looks like you did everything right to me. I had a couple false starts because the directions weren't clear enough that one has to press 'OK' after 'Storage' is automatically highlighted. That your modem wasn't indicating a transfer was taking place is interesting. Do you have another computer in the house to try it with?

When it displayed v1.1 for the lens did it also recognize and show v1.0 for the camera? Since you didn't update to 1.1 seems to me the software should have shown the the camera was at 1.0 and either 1.1 or 1.3 as being available???
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:27 PM   #3

Quote:
When it displayed v1.1 for the lens did it also recognize and show v1.0 for the camera? Since you didn't update to 1.1 seems to me the software should have shown the the camera was at 1.0 and either 1.1 or 1.3 as being available???
.....yes, all the above! The available update shown is 1.3.

My wireless network begins with the iMAC 27 which is hardlined CAT5 ethernet to the router so it is where all things internet is good here.

The data transfer appears to have started but then stopped, however the camera LCD 'DON'T' screen never appeared and that was disconcerting too..... but no activity from that point.

I have found a couple 'forums' discussions where this same scenario has played out and the person's update worked at a later date. I will try the update again tomorrow.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Isn't modern technology fun.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Isn't modern technology fun.
It is James, I have as much fun today as all through my 50-yr career working with it.

BBUUTTT! Olympus' way of updating is archaic and can be dangerous if not done exactly correct according to their methodology; that is not fun to deal with, though most often any camera/accessory updating difficulty is not a fault of the system way; it can be a physical limitation too, which IMO belongs to Olympus... and can be labeled mini-quality-control.

The damn cable needed some trimming, same as two other different USB cable devices; I got it done now so 'Oh Well'.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:17 PM   #6

I was certainly glad I make a habit of loading a fully charged battery before doing any update. This one took longer than any other I can remember, to the point I started worrying what might happen if the internet connection was interrupted during the process.

It would be nice if one could load the updates to an SD card, then load the card to the camera, turn the camera on and it happens. I think that was how Canon was doing it in 2005-2006 when I was using the original Digital Rebel and 10D.

Bob, Steve B. and I swapped text messages this morning. He's in Ennis today on the bluebonnet trails with his E-M1 and I think he's going to meet up with me this Saturday morning at Clark Gardens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
It is James, I have as much fun today as all through my 50-yr career working with it.

BBUUTTT! Olympus' way of updating is archaic and can be dangerous if not done exactly correct according to their methodology; that is not fun to deal with, though most often any camera/accessory updating is not a fault of the system way; it can be a physical limitation too, which in my IMO belongs to Olympus... and can be labeled mini-quality-control.

The damn cable needed some trimming, same as two other different USB cable devices; I got it done now so 'Oh Well'.
I understand you there. I retired a couple of years back and my main job was programming and maintaining robots in an industrial complex. I've also worked with CNC equipment and that IS NOT fun. Very screwy operating platform. I know when I had my PL2 if you didn't do things in the exact order the update wouldn't happen. Thankfully I believe I have all the latest updates for the E-3.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:35 AM   #8

Quote:
I think he's going to meet up with me this Saturday morning at Clark Gardens.
I haven't seen him since he returned for his trip and can't remember his Smugmug site, if you know it rep it here, please.

I have a grandson baseball obligation tomorrow,,,, I have gotten the Clark Gardens emails but somehow always have something going that sets priority.

I will go to the Albertsons' car show tonight, maybe see something different there.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:50 AM   #9

I just hope the wind has calmed down to some degree by Saturday. I'm getting to the gardens early, hopefully no later than 8:30 am so maybe at least the first hour or two will be good.

I'll get Steve's site address and post it here.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:28 AM   #10

Greg, I'm hoping for a calm-wind day too, 10-yr old baseball isn't a lot of fun with 40-MPH wind gusts.

Last night at Nostalgia Nights the wind was awful, many cars, no desire to photograph any of them, I came home & watched the Rangers' game that went on for 4/12 hrs.... I did get in a nap or too.

I hope y'all have a great day at Clark's, tell Steve I said, 'hi'.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com