Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:39 PM   #1

Default Escape to Florida

My wife and I managed some time for a quick getaway to visit some friends in Tampa. In the past we would spend all our time out in St. Pete's on the beach, so it was interesting seeing the other side of the bay.
Start with Ybor City

Beer selection at the bar, Columbia Restaurant. I had a cafe con leche. Stay thirsty my friends...

We wandered up to the King's Room, where the top charity events are held. Portraits of the Kings and Queens from each years' event adorned the walls. But my eye was caught by the corbels along the roof

We closed off the day with dinner at Bernini's, where my wife and our friends took advantage of the $2 martinis.

As I was into the hard stuff -- sparkling water, I was elected driver.
All shot with the E-PL1 and the every so sharp 14-42 kit lens, MK1.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:48 PM   #2

Did manage to convince our friend to stray all the way out to the beach. We used to stay out in Pass-A-Grill at the bottom of St. Pete's Beach, but that was back in the late 80's early 90's. So interesting to see the changes and lack of change.

The Don CeSar still commands the beach...

Later in the day, from the rooftop of the Hurricane, looking back up towards the Don

And well, have to have a shot of shore birds. I was rather impressed that the PL1 was able to handle the backlighting on this shot. Spot metering with the 40-150.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:11 PM   #3

For a different view, the following were shot around of friends neighbourhood in New Tampa. Their house backs onto a nature reserve and well, they are braver than my wife and I.
The catchment ponds...

As my friend says, each pond has one.

This fellow is smart enough to perch up high before venturing to the water's edge...

At the far end of a larger pond were a pair of bald eagles. Each morning I would head out hoping to catch them venturing within the range of my 40-150 at the long end. And each day they sat at the top of their tree, laughing at me.

But I was lucky to have this young Coopers Hawk decide to pose for me. I must have taken about 30 shots while circling the tree as the hawk watched me. And as a bonus, the tree was right by the sidewalk, so I did not have to venture too far into the "rough"

These were all shot with the 40-150 M.Zuiko, the "variable in performance" (as Olympus refers to the original version) lens, post done in ASP.

It was nice to get some warmth after the winter we have been through. Doing some clean up in the garden today -- still dealing with ice and frozen ground.

Thanks for looking.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:31 PM   #4

A wealth of subjects. Beautiful, bright colors too. Let's not talk of ice and frozen ground after those.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
A wealth of subjects. Beautiful, bright colors too. Let's not talk of ice and frozen ground after those.
What he said!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:45 AM   #6

Nice set and I have been to ybor before in my younger wilder days... Nearly got into a fight because a guy didn't like the way I was looking at his girl, and she was looking back, while she was dancing on the bar... Didn't know what to say, she was dancing on the bar after all... So we moved on.

Really enjoy the birds and the beach shots!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:41 PM   #7

Hey, great shots!

And I'm glad to enjoyed your visit to my neck of the woods. Glad that you had a good time, you may have got a little taste of why some of us prefer living down here permanently. Besides the climate, it is a photographer's playground.

I'm sure that you may have captured some more shots of the many "shore birds" down on the beach, but can understand if you didn't post them. LOL

As far as the real birds, I think that you may have photographed a Red-Shouldered Hawk instead of a Cooper. The Red-Shoulder is very prolific down here. Anyway, glad that you got to visit, and hope that you come back soon; we depend on the tourist dollars.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:50 PM   #8

Fantastic and fine set of pictures Kula, love the colors and sharpness of your pics.

Enjoy your vacations..!!
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:55 AM   #9

Ditto on Marcelo's statement. Very nice.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Nice bunch of pictures and ... I like the Croc

Enjoy Tampa ... which is way better that the snow coming down here

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote