Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:27 PM   #1

Default tired of the annoyingly long cord on Olympu battery chargers?

Initially I bought a Wasabi charger w/two after market BLS-5 batteries. These worked but over time they just stopped charging, lasting no more than a year.

The stock BLS-5 however keeps chugging, but it won't charge in the Wasabi charger which is a shame since the Wasabi charger is small and convenient, where as the Olympus charger has that long and stiff cord which makes it a pain to pack away. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

So I did some looking into the type of cord used by the charge and found that the end that plugs into the charger is something called IEC C7. From there I was able to find a right angle IEC C7 adapter that will stick right into the charger and plug directly into the wall.

The seller SF Cable on Amazon was out of stock but I found one on sleezbay for cheap direct from Hong Kong, so I ordered it.

Should be a few weeks but with any luck this should turn the stock charger into a much smaller package to pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EN-60320-IEC...-/251289410311
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:59 PM   #2

A while back I purchased a similar device. I think it was a third party for Apple maker. Someone in the DPReview Micro forum posted about it, so I bought one to try with my Olympus charger. I believe it was the E-P3 I was using at the time, and the two terminals it turned out did not line up exactly and I never could get the thing to work.

It was a pleasant suprise when I pull the charger out of the box for the Panasonic GX7 battery and saw it was a direct wall plug-in.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
That's a fact. I've been using the Progo but picked up Wasabi for a friend. They look darn near identical and I suspect they're all made by the same manufacturer. I had the Vivitar charger before the Progo but it died. And again, the Vivitar looked like it came off the same assembly line.

If your solution works, please do let us know.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:37 PM   #4

This is the one I've always used with the Panasonic and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the two generic versions listed on the page are the same thing.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:30 PM   #5

I have one of the original Apple plugs and it works great, I never use the cord.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
I have one of the original Apple plugs and it works great, I never use the cord.
That is good to know, if the one I ordered doesn't work I will likely go for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
This is the one I've always used with the Panasonic and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the two generic versions listed on the page are the same thing.
Ditto, didn't realize that was an apple standard being an android user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
That's a fact. I've been using the Progo but picked up Wasabi for a friend. They look darn near identical and I suspect they're all made by the same manufacturer. I had the Vivitar charger before the Progo but it died. And again, the Vivitar looked like it came off the same assembly line.

If your solution works, please do let us know.
Like I said YMMV with wasabi. They replaced one in the first year when it stopped working. By second year both the replacement and surviving original stopped working. And I have never been able to get the stock battery to charge in the charger... So I am moving on to OEM only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
A while back I purchased a similar device. I think it was a third party for Apple maker. Someone in the DPReview Micro forum posted about it, so I bought one to try with my Olympus charger. I believe it was the E-P3 I was using at the time, and the two terminals it turned out did not line up exactly and I never could get the thing to work.

It was a pleasant suprise when I pull the charger out of the box for the Panasonic GX7 battery and saw it was a direct wall plug-in.
For reference I found the cable here

http://www.volex.com/Our-products/Po...s/connector/87

And found it complies with the standard EN 60320 IEC C7 which is what I bought.

Hoping it works, I will write back if it does.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:08 PM   #7

There is nothing special about it. They are just an Apple/Mac "duck head" adapter. Any electronics store should have them. Walmart, Radio Shack, Office Depot, Sears, etc.

I just prefer the type with the folding prongs.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:54 AM   #8

I hear you there Ramce, the cable/cord is stiffer than heck. I do not understand why such heavy cord when very little power is drawn for the charger.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:34 PM   #9

Hmm, does not match up with any of my apple adapters. Always wonder how my carry on looks with all the various cables modern life requires. Guess it is better than handing over a baggie with all the film cassettes, begging for hand inspection
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 5:44 PM   #10

Plug arrived, fits and works as I hoped

charger with adapter by ramcewan, on Flickr

adapter by ramcewan, on Flickr