Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:43 PM   #1

Default ......the B-17G Aluminum Overcast

The EAA owned B-17G 'Aluminum Overcast' was in Arlington (TX) April 29 for the 1-day.

I have photographed the plane several times and decided this time would be for some angles I had not shot before. I did not handle the sky well at all which is a shame because it truly was a magnificent sight before 10am and then so bright that I would've like having along my friend Greg for help in dealing with all that. I shot both cameras in manual mode and did the best I could with that.

These are a few from the E-M1 & 50-200 and E-P3 & 9-18.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:52 PM   #2

Beautiful stuff Bob. Love the wing perspective of #1 and the airborn shots.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 PM   #3

Great stuff Bob and you certainly couldn't have claustrophobia in that belly turret. Not a hell of a lot a room to move around, especially for the time duration of a bombing run. If you were a short guy in the Army you were a prime candidate for that duty.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:08 PM   #4

Now, that's cool.

I've heard more than one story about the hydraulics being shot up during bombing raids, leaving them no way to put the wheels down and not being able to get the ball-turret gunner out before the plane having to crash-land. Imagine being in there and for some extended amount of time knowing what your fate was....jeez.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:46 PM   #5

My god, that is a beautiful aircraft. Excellent captures.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:47 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Excellent shots as usual Bob. More good Aluminum Overcast photographs. I noticed that the nose art is only on the port side of the plane. Any idea why the starboard side is bare? Just curious; I checked my photos of both the Liberty Belle and Memphis Belle B-17s, and they had the nose art on both sides.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 2:39 PM   #7

The Red Tail Squadron are flying in their P51 Mustang this Saturday at an airport that's only about 10 miles from me. Hoping the weather is good, lots of sun, and I get some nice shots.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:21 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This plane is not a restore of the 'Aluminum Overcast', the original plane was lost over France during it 34th mission of WWII.

This plane never saw WWII combat but has quite a history as a cattle hauler, a crop duster, a map photographer, some other and now a restore to near combat likeness in the livery of the original Aluminum Overcast.

This is what Wikipedia http://tinyurl.com/md3342j tells of the plane's history which I found quite interesting after I saw the 'AO' for the first time in 2008. Too, who knew Studebaker made bomber engines, this plane has one...............

Knowing that this airplane was bought for scrap (sans the military hardware) @ $750 by Dr Willam Harrison of aviation fame then given to EAA I made some photos this weekend that link the two. Harrison Aviation is the private operations group for our airport.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 9:51 PM   #9

Nice shots of the 17. One point, the first three shots on the E-P3 don't seem as clear as the remainder of the shots with E-M1. Something in the processing perhaps? Quite the privilege to be out on the tarmac with these birds.

But had to laugh when looking through the rest of the collection on your smug mug and low and behold shiny chrome with a magnificent red leather interior. That Cessna 195 certainly grabs your attention, quite the looker. Your nose shot is clear enough to read the engine manufacture plate. Nice work
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 9:56 PM   #10

nice set, I especially like the first one. If it were me I'd try a gradient filter on the sky to turn down the exposure a bit. There is something really nice in the way the altocumulus undulatus clouds run parallel to the plane body and perpindicular to the wing.