Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 17, 2014, 9:33 AM   #51

Inferred, stated sounds like you're hiding behind semantics to me. I'll ask you straight out then; do you respect my opinion that FCC regulation of the internet is a bad idea? Or do you not respect it because you think I have something to gain because as you've inferred I work for "them"?

Value proposition is a term fairly common in the IT space;value proposition

Its not a telecom trade term or marketing strategy. For example I would say that using used 4/3 lenses that are pdaf compatible provides an excellent value proposition for someone shooting micro four thirds who don't mind the added bulk. The value proposition is excellent IQ at a lower price than equivalent micro four thirds lenses. Does that make me an employee of Olympus now that I used that term to describe my choice of lenses?

So back to the topic, now that the FCC chair and his fellow Democrats on the committee have voted in favor of title II regulation of the internet with the door open for fast-lane deals as net neutrality, do you still support net neutrality?
Old May 17, 2014, 10:06 AM   #52

If it hurts Facebook, it can't be all that bad...... whichever way does.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 11:14 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Inferred, stated sounds like you're hiding behind semantics to me.
Hiding from what??? The times I made that inference were opportunities for you to set the record straight. You didn't. People will form their own opinions.

Quote:
So the FCC announced their net neutrality proposal yesterday and it is basically in line with what the chair said; they'll enact Title II over the internet, ....
Don't believe that statement for a minute folks (ramcewan, that doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar. Don't make that jump). The FCC, feeling the heat from good folks like Steve's readers, decided they better open it up for a couple months of input from the public. That couple of months will be followed by a couple months addressing the public input. However, some in the tech industry see it as a ploy on the part of the Chairman, hoping people lose interest over the next four months while he ultimately lets net neutrality slip away. Statements like ramcewan's above, no matter how heartfelt, are detrimental to the process. If people read that as fact, they think it's over. It's not over and now is not the time to take your eye off the ball.

Quote:
I'll ask you straight out then; do you respect my opinion that FCC regulation of the internet is a bad idea?
Not only that but I concur. The internet is unregulated now and it has flourished. New technologies, new businesses, new products (aka SlingBox, MajicJack, Simple.TV, Internet radio) it goes on and on. Sadly, as I noted earlier, Monopolistic ISP's are trying to wrest control of the internet. There's a reason why the last annual report (2013) by The American Customer Satisfaction Index (theacsi.org) inspired Harvard University graduate and Tech Writer Betsy Isaacson to write "Internet Service Providers Are Now The Most Hated Companies In U.S." BTW- As far as the individual ISPs go, according to ACSI , Comcast is dead last.
Do we really want a monopolies running the internet? Don't forget, rather than improve revenue by growing a satisfied customer base, Comcast instead raised prices faster than the rate of inflation. You decide.

I do feel bad for Greg though. If the ISPs get the fast lanes they've spent so much money lobbying for, sites like FaceBook may be one of the few that can afford the fee to get through to us.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 5:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Statements like ramcewan's above, no matter how heartfelt, are detrimental to the process. If people read that as fact, they think it's over.
I'm not sure what you think is detrimental to the process by summarizing chairman Wheeler's statements. Here's an article in the Washington post echoing the same; that the FCC has proposed rules that enact Title II and also leave open the door for paid priority deals.

I'm just trying to share the facts, what Wheeler has said and what the 3/2 majority of the FCC board has voted for and what they have now asked for comments, you know the link I provided so people could comment?

Quote:
Anyways... if you'd like to comment to the FCC here's the link;

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

click item 14-28 to electronically comment on the proposed rules that were announced on 5/15
(seriously chiPersei WTF was detrimental about that?)
Old May 18, 2014, 8:53 PM   #55

So much for a slow news day. AT&T announced they're going to buy Direct TV. To make it more palatable they promise to follow net neutrality for 3 years. Isn't that special? Then, like their usual short lived promotional periods, we'll find out what it really cost us when the promotion period is over. That's just rich. ArsTechnica
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote